How to get machine information while using JIRA

Suresh Dubey July 21, 2016

Hi,

When we log a defect or bug in any Test Management tool, we should have an option to get machine configuration information like OS, Browser type, Browser version, memory etc. So that tester can attache these information in the defect and developer can easily identify with what configuration test case was executed. I have used such thing in Microsoft Test Manager(MTM). Can you please let me know how can we do that in JIRA?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 21, 2016

You're going to need something that can read that information and send it to JIRA.

There's a significant difference between MTM and JIRA.  JIRA is a web-application which does not have a client (most of its users will use a browser).  MTM has a client which lives on the user's machine, and when it raises things, it has access to the machine to gather information to send over.

The only information a browser sends to JIRA is browser information.  You could write something to extract that from incoming requests, but it will only contain browser strings (which can be faked - I regularly bypass idiotic web-designers who say "IE only" by having a proper browser lie to their shoddy code.  Most people won't do that)

So, a couple of simple questions:

Is the browser string from a client good enough?

If not, then would you consider coding a client to install on the user's machines which could grab what you need?

Suresh Dubey July 22, 2016

Hi Nic,

Thanks for reply. I completely understood the difference and agree with you.

For me, the browser string would be enough. Please let me know how can we do that.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 25, 2016

I think you'll need to inject some javascript to catch it from the incoming session and post it into the fields.

Suggest an answer