How to get JIRA Ticket Description only for a specific ticket?

Neel Desai March 29, 2016

This question is in reference to Atlassian Documentation: Searching for Issues

Hello ,

I have one question. I want to fetch only description portion of JIRA ticket from a given JIRA ticket to me. I am not able to find any JQL search api that can do this. I also tried to do it using Zephyr but I didn't find any ZQL that can do this . Can you tell me which api of JIRA search query can do this ?

Thanks,

Neel Desai

2 answers

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 29, 2016

JQL returns a list of issues that match criteria, it has nothing to say about the data on the issues it returns.

That's handled by the reporting mechanism.  In this case, it's REST, which by default hands you the whole issue.  But you can ask it to give you only the fields you want (it'll still pass over a bit more information, but not a lot)

Try adding &fields=description to the REST url you are hitting.  (The docs give the example of &fields=id,key if that helps explain more of the format)

0 votes
GabrielleJ
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 29, 2016
Neel Desai March 29, 2016

I just want ticket's description and this api is giving all the details. I tried it .But I just want ticket's description.

GabrielleJ
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 29, 2016

Would that be a big deal if you just parse the results?

Suggest an answer