How to extract the history of changes on the status and resolution of a bug?

Neil Taylro January 31, 2018

I gather I can't extract the history chain for Status/Resolution using JQL.

I'm a novice to the programmatic API...

Is it possible to write an API program to query JIRA and extract the history?

The larger goal is to present a report, per issue (grouped by Team), of the elapsed time spent processing completed issues (time from status -> In Progress until -> Accepted).

In a similar vein, to report on the number of issues Accepted, per unit time (e.g. calendar month).

[the workflow goes Submitted, Triaged, Ready for Refinement, Refined, In Progress, Delivered, Accepted, Verified. I can't assume the final resolved time, as it'll change when Verified.]

2 answers

1 vote
Doug Swartz
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 2, 2018

There is a Python package for interfacing with Jira: https://jira.readthedocs.io/en/master/ 

I have not used it, so cannot comment on it's robustness.

Thomas Deiler
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 4, 2018

@Doug Swartz the page you wrote, 'doesn't exit yet', it says? Was there a typo?

Neil Taylro February 5, 2018

some junk characters ("%A0") on the end of the raw URL.

try https://jira.readthedocs.io/en/master/ which works for me

Thomas Deiler
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 5, 2018

works.

1 vote
Thomas Deiler
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 31, 2018

Dear @Neil Taylro,

yes it is possible with the API. Do you have coding skills?

So long

Thomas

yes - I've use C, C++, C#.  Not yet python, but "it doesn't look that hard". Looking for some overall intro and some specifics to get a first bash going.

Thomas Deiler
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 31, 2018

I wrote yesterday a similar answer. Does this help?

AH! I see that. So the answer is:

* to get the info needed, you need the fully expanded history

* you can only get that for one issue at a time

* so you need a list of issues, and loop over that.

Is that a feasible load on the server/reasonable time to complete, for a JIRA DB of about 15000 issues?

Is there a Python equivalent rather than direct REST?

Thomas Deiler
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 2, 2018

Dear @Neil Taylro,

all your three points are correct.

There is a server limit of 1000 issues (maxResults) per search result. This limit can be increase by configuration. If you stay within the limit of 1000, it's a piece of cake for Jira.

But you can also create a JQL by create date (monthly), than it is done in chunks.

So long

Thomas

Neil Taylro February 5, 2018

Thanks!!

Suggest an answer