How to exclude "Won`t Fix" user story from completed Sprint and its points from velocity chart ?

Piotr A September 14, 2016

Hello. I would like to exclude Story points for "Won`t Fix" user story from completed Sprint, so that I will be not able to see them in the Velocity Chart for completed sprint. Any idea how to do it ? 

Thank you.

2 answers

0 votes
Matt McClure December 12, 2016

Add a "Resolved Not Done" column to your board. Move it to the left of the Done column, so that the Done column retains the green (indicating "Done") horizontal rule, and the "Resolved Not Done" column's horizontal rule is yellow (indicating "In Progress").

Then the Velocity Report and Sprint Report will treat issues in Resolved Not Done as not completed, and the issues in the Done column as completed.

See also the similar question: How can we exclude stories closed with resolution "Won't Fix", "Duplicated", "Not Reproducible" and "Incompleted" out of Scrum Board's Velocity and Sprint Report , or Agile Classic's chart board?

0 votes
Deleted user September 14, 2016

Here's a few;

During Sprint planning if the status is "Won't Fix" do not include it in the Sprint.

Exclude the Status from the board configuration.

If the status changes during the sprint, there's not much you can do on the Cloud, since you don't have access to the report to make modifications. You could copy the information to excel and modify it manually, but...

Best suggestion I have - You should know 95% of the time what you won't fix before something goes into the sprint. If your not sure add a 'Research' task that can be completed and if you do want to do that actual work add it to the next Sprint or inject it if necessary.

Just my thoughts...

Piotr A September 15, 2016

Hi Tom, 

thank you for your answer. Of course,  note presented by you should be done in the past and will be done in the future to avoid such situation. Also I don`t want to exclude "Won't Fix" status, because it provides useful information. 

Right  now I have some "old" data ( Wont fix stories with SP, for previous Sprints), which impact my Velocity Chart and I am wondering how to do a clean-up. Maybe you any idea on how to handle it ?

Deleted user September 15, 2016

Quick response - take them out of the past sprints. You should be able to bulk change/edit those issues in the Won't fix status and clear the Sprint field... I think that should take care of the chart. We have moved to a Kanban environment, so I can't check it. Let me know if that dose not work and I'll look further into it.

Piotr A September 16, 2016

Even with Administrator privileges I'm not able to clean Sprint field (that was one of my approaches to do a cleanup). Is this option blocked in JIRA ?

Deleted user September 16, 2016

No, it's there... use JQL and get the issues you need to change.

Go to Bulk Change / Edit option and scroll down the page to Sprint.

Check the box but leave the field empty.

Let it do it's job.

Look here for more info;

https://confluence.atlassian.com/agile/jira-agile-user-s-guide/working-with-sprints/removing-an-issue-from-a-sprint

Piotr A September 16, 2016

Thanks Tom for answer. When Edit option is chosen, there are two fields Sprint and Completed Sprint. The Sprint field is  set empty, but I am unable to change the Completed Sprint (with a couple Sprints assigned) and I think that this is the problem. What do you think ?

Deleted user September 16, 2016

Hi Piotr - when I tested the process it also cleared the "Completed Sprint" field. If that's not happening it will definitely still impact your chart.

Piotr A October 13, 2016

This Completed sprints field is locked i my JIRa and I am not able to change it. How to unlock this field ?

boardtc
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 16, 2017

@Tom Proctor I tested this in v7.1.4. I had 29 stories with such a value and I the JQL cleared out the sprint field no problem. However, this had no effect whatsoever on the velocity report with those stories still included in terms of commitment. Are you saying this used to work before for closed sprints? Why did they remove this useful functionality then ? :-(

With a backlog in flux you don't know 95% of the time, checking JQL I had 81 stories closed fine and 29 not.

Suggest an answer