How to ensure Issue dependencies are displayed in correct order in scope pane of Portfolio?

Adam Murray June 27, 2017

Hi. I'm setting up my first Portfolio and have the Epics and Issues (Stories) displayed fine. Inside one Epic I have 2 issues that must be completed before the remaining stories (over 10) can be started. I have therefore created dependencies where the two issues "block" the remaining 10+. The problem I see is that when I recalculate the schedule the 2 issues are placed into a sprint after the 10+. i.e. In the wrong order. 

Is this expected behaviour? How can I ensure that the 2 issues that must come first are displayed and scheduled before the remaining 10?

2 answers

0 votes
John Newman March 20, 2018
0 votes
Deleted user June 28, 2017

What do you have selected for your Dependency scheduling and Dependent story constraint fields in the configuration?  Click the three dot button next to the plan name and select Configure, then on the left select Scheduling.  And to confirm, you selected "Blocks" on the dependency popup for the 2 issues correct?

Adam Murray June 28, 2017

Thanks Steven. For Dependency scheduling I have "Rank dependent work item below required item" which I thought was correct, but happy to be corrected more :). Yes, the 2 issues which I want at the top have "blocks" against the items that must come after. Any help would be appreciated.

Deleted user June 29, 2017

OK those settings seem correct.  Do you have fix versions explicitely selected for any of these issues in core JIRA?  That's the only other explanation I can think of, because it will always use that to schedule first, even if there are conflicting dependencies.  If you leave it to Portfolio to schedule everything on it's own it will do it correctly.  I would go through all of those individual issues and any parent or children for those issues and remove the fix version in core JIRA.  If you have any uncommitted changes for those issues in Portfolio, revert them.

Adam Murray June 29, 2017

Fix versions are not set. Checked them all. Have been playing around with the scheduling toggles and not getting much joy. It almost feels like the dependency needs to be set the other way around, which is the opposite to what we might see as intuitive.

John Newman March 19, 2018

I'm having the exact same issue. Was this ever resolved?

Suggest an answer