How to delete a completed sprint without any issues in it?

Berend Kapelle January 5, 2017

Hi everybody!

During some migrations I created some sprints, put a ticket in the first one, and then started and closed them all (6 in total) one by one.

I dont need them now anymore, because creating them was not necessary at all. 

But I can not figure out how to delete those. I can not delete them, because they are not open. I can not reopen them, because there are no issues in them. I can not put issues into that sprint, because they are already completed.

Thanks in advance,

Berend

2 answers

1 vote
Randy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 5, 2017

Try using the bulk update feature on a fake issue so that you can add them to the closed sprints.  Then when there are issues, you should be able to reopen.

Berend Kapelle January 5, 2017

thanks, @randy ho. That helped a bit, but not much.

I was able to add an issue via bulk update to a closed sprint, and then reopen it. Now it is the active sprint again. According to Jira docs to delete the active sprint I have to end it. For that I need to complete the sprint. But after that it is gone from the backlog, where it is supposed to be deleted from via the 3 Dot context menu.

Also, I don't understand the difference between a ended sprint and a closed sprint. Maybe that is what I am doing wrong

Randy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 6, 2017

If you're on JIRA 6.7 you will have to use a plugin like this one to delete the sprint: https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/org.hotovo.jira.closed-sprint-management/server/overview

Deleting the sprint was disabled post 6.4 and reintroduced only on cloud i believe.

Sten Sundelin
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 6, 2017

Hi Berend,

I can delete sprints in JIRA Server 7.1.10 as long as I can see them and they're not Active. Maybe you can add a new 'dummy' issue to the sprint, Resolve this issue, remove the other issues, finally complete and delete the sprint?

Sten Sundelin
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 6, 2017

I stand corrected, the sprint is going to disappear from view even with the new issue. Maybe it's just not possible to delete a sprint once you've started it. Sort of makes sense as there is a lot of information in there once you started it...

0 votes
Fabio Racobaldo _Herzum_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 12, 2022

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events