How to deal with abandoned issues

Lin Van Oevelen December 22, 2016

I have designed my first workflow to use for our forms design team. The workflow is pretty straightforward, but I am struggling with how to deal with abandoned issues. An issue can be abandoned at any stage of the process.

That's how I have now set it up, with transitions from every status to an Abandoned status. But I would rather not have the abandoned column show up in the board view as it is only relevant for reporting and not of any use to our operational team.

Is there another way to deal with this? I tried to use a transition to itself and then show the Resolution screen, but that means they keep sitting in whatever status column I resolved them from. I want them to disappear when I've flagged them as abandoned.

3 answers

1 vote
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 22, 2016

A quick workaround would be to modify the board's filter to omit the issues with resolution 'Abandoned'. But, ideally, it would make more sense to have the Abandoned status. If you do not want it on the board, you can just ask the users to use the "More" operation to change the status or do it from the issue screen.

Or you can ask them to tag a story as abandoned and then bulk transition them to the new status.

In the end, it depends on what your users are more comfortable with!

0 votes
Ignacio Pulgar
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 22, 2016

I would suggest:

1. Configure the board's Columns so that the last (most-right) column contains two final statuses, ie: Done & Abandoned. On dragging an issue from the board, two landing status areas will be displayed in the last column so that you can drop the issue into the status you wish.
  2. Modify the board's Filter by adding '...AND status not in (Abandoned) ORDER BY Rank ASC'.

Once set that way, you will be able to drag & drop an issue to the abandoned status, and it will be removed from the board on doing so.

0 votes
Volodymyr Krupach
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 22, 2016

When referring to the board do you mean a Scrum board? In that case you can remove the Abandoned column from the board: https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirasoftwarecloud/configuring-columns-764477997.html. Users will not be able to drag issues into the Abandoned state but since you have transitions to Abandoned from all other states, there will be appropriate button/menu entry.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events