How to create the jira ticket from slack

Firoz Sahib December 5, 2018

Hi,

I am able to integrate the slack and jira.

Even if i update something on jira, it will show me on the slack.

But how can I create a new ticket from slack.

6 answers

58 votes
carolyn french
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 19, 2018

You're welcome, @NadyaVasylevska! Glad it helped

Corey_Tabb December 18, 2019

ok because this is a helpful answer I don't know why frioz would make your welcome message the accept answer because it blatantly isn't the answer

Like # people like this
carolyn french
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 18, 2019

Thank you, @Corey_Tabb ! Yeah, there is a bug on the platform and since this post was converted from a discussion to a question (if I remember correctly since it was last year), there is no option to accept my original answer post. I really would love for this to be fixed!

More than one answer can be accepted on a question by the person asking the question or moderators, and other users can click on the vote next to the answer if it helped them. The more, the merrier, as I love hearing other people's take on solutions!

Like Gibran Rivera likes this
6 votes
carolyn french
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 5, 2018

Hi Firoz, and welcome to Community!

I was super excited to make a Zap to do this- automatically create a new ticket from slack when a user added an emoticon to a message in a slack channel (I created a new emoticon called ::newissue::). Everything worked beautifully until Zapier shut the Zap off due to my plan needing to be upgraded to a paid one (the Zap used 3 steps and the free plan only lets you do 2 steps). 

If you have a Zapier account or are interested, I'll post the details here. Let me know.

Carolyn

NadyaVasylevska December 14, 2018

Hey, @carolyn french! is there only one way to make such integration of slack and jira? I'm also interested to build it, and would good to know other possible options. Thanks! 

carolyn french
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 14, 2018

Hi @NadyaVasylevska- there are a bunch of add-ons already built and on the Marketplace that you can check out too.

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/search?product=jira&query=slack

Like Nick Cron likes this
NadyaVasylevska December 14, 2018

Thank you, @carolyn french!

Kayla Barnes October 13, 2021

@carolyn french what was your Zap? Did it add more versatility than the current slack -> Jira integration? Thank you!

carolyn french
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 14, 2021

The current integration out of the box looks nice now! I did like the ease of using an emoji as the trigger to create an issue, but you can also just click the ... to the right of the message and create Jira issue too. What a bright spot in 2021 :)

Slack_create_issue_jira.png

Like # people like this
Nick Cron October 14, 2021

Hi @Kayla Barnes.  I agree with @carolyn french that native integration for Jira Cloud has gotten a lot better and might be a great fit.    

If you happen to run Jira Data Center or Server or want to go even further with creating issues you may want to check out our plugin in the Atlassian marketplace.  

We have 5 different ways to create Jira issues from Slack with options to auto-attach files, sync conversations, and more.  We cover all the ways in our help docs here - https://help.integration.slack.nextup.ai/article/3v7u48fcd2-create-a-jira-issue-from-slack

2 votes
sharon October 29, 2021

Hey everyone,

You can also create new tickets using Slack command /jira using native Jira cloud app for Slack. It works well for most needs. If you hit some limitations like adding attachments, linking other tickets etc, you can try marketplace apps like our Troopr Slack integration for Jira. It also works with Jira Server and DC. 

You can find more here: https://www.troopr.ai/slack-jira-software-integration

Jeremy Powell July 13, 2023

Don't click the thread above; it's false and takes you to a Tool advertising their software. It is not a solution. 

Can't report the user, but BEWARE.

Like Sakthiya Giri likes this
sharon September 25, 2023

Hi @Jeremy Powell @Sakthiya Giri 

I updated the link to the correct one - the old link was redirecting due to some changes to the website. Apologies if you found them misleading.

Yes, it is a link to a solution you can implement with a 3rd party vendor software. I have mentioned that in the original comment. I also mentioned how you can create Jira issues in Slack using the official Atlassian apps. More on them here:

jira-cloud-for-slack-official 

jira-data-center-for-slack-official 

If you want to know when to consider buying a third party app for your Jira Slack integration needs, you can see below details on how to create Jira ticket in Slack using Troopr and how it compares with the official apps.

Creating Jira ticket from Slack using Troopr 

Troopr vs official Jira DC app

Troopr vs official Jira Cloud app

Disclaimer: I am from Troopr product team. At Troopr we are building productivity apps for Jira for the past 5 years. 

2 votes
Nick Cron March 21, 2019

Hi everyone!  At Nextup.ai we have been building Jira Integration+ since 2017 and have included the ability to create Jira issues from Slack since early 2018.  

We now have 3 different ways to create issues from Slack:

1. Ask the bot "create issue MAR" (where MAR is the project).  It will then ask you the issue type and show you a dialog to fill in the required fields. 
  2. Slack Actions - this allows you to click the ... action in Slack on any message and create an issue.  You can default fields or fill them in. 
  3. Command CLI - this way you can create the ticket right from a single line of text in Slack and can set the values you need.
mswitzer October 14, 2019

This looks cool, but your instructions for set up don't seem to match what JIRA asks for these days...

Nick Cron October 14, 2019

Hello- happy to help you get set up.  We connect 100s of teams a week so we know the instructions work.  We are very much active on this project.  

Please go to our website and use the live chat and we will be there to help you. 

Like Dave Liao likes this

So, your instructions list the following pieces of data to input:

• Consumer Key
  • Consumer Name
  • Public Key

But JIRA has no Consumer Name nor Public Key field

I would use the chat, but all that shows up on the wizard screen is a bullhorn that opens some notifications, and not any chat.

But also, even guessing at where to put those data points, I get these errors...

Request Token URL is required.

Access Token URL is required.

Authorize URL is required.

Nick Cron October 14, 2019

Hello - can you please look at this help doc - https://help.nextup.ai/en/articles/1432684-connecting-with-jira and the video and let me know if you see something different in Jira? 

You can also reach us at info@nextup.ai and we can help from there. 

The beamer on top of Intercom is a bug we will be fixing soon.  You should not see that on any screen except the connection process. 

Like # people like this
1 vote
Pier-Luc Gendreau March 31, 2019

Hey folks!

We've been working on Jirafe for a year now and have made creating issues a core aspect of our product. Our Slack app was born out of a need to streamline the Jira experience for community, sales and support teams within the company which is why our focus is set on ease of use and performance.

That said, we primarily support creating issues in two ways:

- Using a slash command: /jirafe <project>
- In the "..." menu of every Slack message, you'll find "Create a Jira issue..."

Note that we have a free tier for small teams and usage based plans for larger teams.

All of our plans, free and paid, get access to all Jirafe features!

Roberto Suárez May 30, 2019

I'm currently reading about Jirafe, and the only thing I don't like is that it's not clear what "actions" are. Does it mean 50 "operations"? (i.e., 25 issue creations and 25 issue assignations, for example) Is it monthly?

Apart from that, it looks very promising. Creating issues from Slack would be great, because that would help the "spur of the moment" issues that we talk about but never remember to create after logging out.

Thanks in advance!

Pier-Luc Gendreau May 30, 2019

Hey Roberto, sorry about that! We're currently working on clearing up messaging around paid plans and making sure that update will be good to go early next week.

That said, your assumptions are correct, actions are counted on a monthly basis and include created issues, assignations, transitions and so on.

Feel free to open a ticket if you have any additional questions.

Thanks for your feedback!

Edit: Our pricing page has been updated and we've added a few of the questions we're frequently asked!

0 votes
Rosalito Udtohan March 2, 2022

@carolyn french  Jira was integrated in a slack with a lot of members in it, Does this mean anyone in that slack thread can create a Jira ticket without an attlasian account?

carolyn french
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 2, 2022

@Rosalito Udtohan - You will still need an Atlassian Account to create a Jira ticket, so not everyone in your Slack will be able to do that.

Like Juan Baez likes this
Rosalito Udtohan March 3, 2022

Got it @carolyn french . Thanks. Also, Will the non-attlasian account user(s) be able to view a Jira Ticket being created (as a reply) on the thread?

2022-03-04_154800.png

Sam Ramachandra September 28, 2022

@Rosalito Udtohan  Hi,

I want to do what you've just in the screen shot, can you explain the steps you've done in jira and slack please ?

Juan Baez April 28, 2023

Hi Carol, to create a Jira from slack, does the user creating the ticket need to  have create access? 

Suggest an answer