It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

How to create multilevel category in JIRA and upload the test cases under these categories?

I have a list of test cases which are written under multilevel category structure.

Category >> Sub Category >> Sub sub category >> Test Cases

My requirement is to upload the test cases in the JIRA with same structure in one of the project and will be able to import/copy the test cases in other projects on category basis.

For example: If a project require to run a specific category test cases then we can simply import that category test cases and execute them.

Is there any mechanism in JIRA to fulfill the requirement?

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough Community Leader Jan 03, 2017

You'll need either the Structure add-on, or a Test Case management add-on that understands your levels.

Hi Nic, Thanks for your reply. I am new in JIRA, can you please elaborate more on your answer? Can I have your skype ID or anything, so that I can connect with you.

Nic Brough Community Leader Feb 07, 2017

There is not a lot more I can say. 

JIRA is not a native test case management tool (the processes for repeat test plans are cyclic procedures, not end to end, so JIRA doesn't have a way to easily manage them)

JIRA's heirarchy is intended to be suitable for most users, keeping it simple and clear.  You are asking for more layers, and the only real solution is something that adds functionality to JIRA.  Structure can do that, but because you're talking about testing, I suspect you'd be better off with one of the testing add-ons.  They won't do quite what you describe, but they will be better suited to testing.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted in Jira Core

How to manage many similar workflows?

I have multiple projects that use variations of the same base workflow. The variations depend on the requirements of the project or issue type. The variations mostly come in the form of new statuses ...

1,094 views 7 0
Join discussion

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you