How to create a bug summary report?

na liu December 13, 2016

I'd like to generate a bug summary report automatically in JIRA which can be shown to my boss everyday. Once I use the format in a table: 

image2016-12-14 15:46:48.png

The record numbers with hyperlink can be clicked in and then others can see detail bug list. I save the search criterial in bugdb and then link it to the record number field.

Is there any way that I can automatically get such report in JIRA? So that I can save my time and do not need to check the record numbers every day and update it manually? 

Thanks.

5 answers

0 votes
Lucas Barretto Fontes January 15, 2019

Menu click in "Reports" -->> "Issue Analysis" -->> "Pie Chart Report".

Pay atention for project if exists some bug registered.

0 votes
na liu December 15, 2016

image2016-12-16 16:42:29.png

0 votes
Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 15, 2016

Hi Na,

For some reason, your screenshot is not showing. So it's kind of difficult to go into more detail about that. Depending on how you have set up your JIRA configuration, I would expect to see multiple lines in your result.

If that's not the case, you could add multiple gadgets on your dashboard presenting you more specific summaries for dedicated filters. Or if you are looking for a powerful, more graphical way of reporting on your data, you could have a look at a reporting add-on such as EazyBI. That comes with a lot of possibilities, but also with a learning curve.

Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 15, 2016

I see the screen shot now. The only thing missing - in my opinion - is how you define QA side and Dev side as a unique piece of information. If you can do that and you replace the 'Assignee' dimension with that piece of information, you will have a report that has the data and click-through functionality you were looking for from the start.

na liu December 15, 2016

Hi Walter,

Yes. You're right. Do you know how to define QA side and Dev side? 

I know which members are QA, and which members are Dev. - This is from resource aspect.

And also I know which bug status is for QA (i.e, 30, 80) and which bug status is for Dev(i.e, 11, 35, 37) – This is from bug status aspect.

Either one can work for me. 

Do you have such experience? Do I need to use easyBI for such use?

Thanks

Na

Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 15, 2016

To be perfectly honest, using status to determine if a bug is QA or Dev related feels kind of awkward to me. Ok, a bug may be discovered by QA or while an issue was in Dev, but then I would suspect you create a bug issue which moves through a process (to do > in progress > done). As soon as the bug's status changes, you lose the information about where it originated.

So maybe you could start using labels or a custom field to indicate the bug origin. And as soon as you have that, you can start reporting on it using the gadget you already successfully implemented. Or if that's not an option, I would consider building 2 filters; 1 for QA and 1 for Dev, displaying your bugs using 2 different gadgets and showing them by priority/status. You can even use a different color for the title bar of your gadgets to clearly indicate which is Dev and which is QA.

But that's something you will have to look into for yourself. I hope I managed to give you some pointers about how you can implement your original request and some leads on how you might improve the way you are managing your data currently.

As far as EazyBI is concerned; to offer your boss a daily overview of current bugs, I'm sure that might be overkill. I think you getting your data structured in such a way that they become easy to report on might be higher priority now. If in time you run into the need to do historical reporting (such as ('how many bugs were created vs resolved in each month of last year' and were they 'QA or Dev'), need the ability to plot those reports out nicely in different kinds of graphs, definitely have a look at it then.

na liu December 18, 2016

Hi Walter,

Thanks for your information. Your suggestion is very useful for me. I will try it first and make improvement on my previous thinking. 

0 votes
na liu December 15, 2016

I was finally able to create my dashboard and add gadget like this:

image2016-12-16 14:55:32.png

But is there a better way that can show one graph with several filters? Just like the above table I drawed.

QA Backlog means bugs @ QA side;

Dev backlog means bugs @ Dev side;

Thanks

Na

0 votes
Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 13, 2016

Hi,

I'm not sure how you determine the difference between Dev Backlog and QA Backlog, but I suppose you might come pretty close already using the two dimensional filter statistics gadget on a dashboard.

First, build a JQL filter to collect the bugs you want to report on. Save the filter and make sure to share it with your boss. Next, on a (new or existing) JIRA Dashboard, add a two dimensional filter statistics gadget. I assume Dev and QA backlogs are separate JIRA Projects (if not, have a look at how you distinguish between them in your instance). So configure the gadget to report on Priority and Project as your two dimensions.

The result should come close to what you designed above.

na liu December 13, 2016

Hi,

QA Backlog means bug status: 30, 80;

Dev Backlog means bug status 11, 37;

I'm not sure if I can create two demensional filter statistics gadget on dashboard... Can you please also guide me?

Thanks.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 13, 2016

Go to your dashboard and click "add gadget".  Then choose the gadget Walter mentions.  You may need to create your own dashboard if you haven't got one already.

Like Romalee Amolic likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events