How to correctly check for status change in a Script Runner listener condition.

Hamid Nayeri October 20, 2016

I am a newbe so please be kind.

I have workflow that is firing an "Issue Updated" event on a transition to "In Development". (I have had problems with the other events being heard by the listener and would in fact prefer to use another).

I want to create a linked issue in a different project via the listener but to only do this on transition and not upon editing the issue in any other way.

After much testing it appears as though my syntax and understanding of the condition in the listener is not correct as it is never "true". The current condition is set as follows.

(issue.status?.name == 'In Development') && (issue.status?.name != originalIssue?.status.name)

I suspect that the problem lies with the "originalIssue?.status name" as the linked issue is created when testing the first half of the condition issue.status?.name == 'In Development". Maybe originalIssue.status is not available at this execution point, if so how do I achieve what i need to do?

Please also explain what the difference is between issue.status?.name and issue.status.name - what is the significance of the question mark (I am very new to this syntax/language).

Is this the best way to do this?

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
MikeyS
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 20, 2016

Have you considered creating the linked issue directly from the source issue's workflow's post-functions for that transition. This would eliminate the need to check status names as you can be sure of when the post-function will fire. There is a ScriptRunner post-function that handles this scenario very well.

Suggest an answer