How to control the "Resolution" value?

Deleted user March 3, 2016

How do I control what the Resolution value is? Whenever I complete and issue and mark it as Done, the resolution stays as "Unresolved". How do I change this? 

2 answers

0 votes
Ignacio Pulgar
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 3, 2016

Edit the workflow and add the :Resolve issue screen' to the transitions that go to Done.

Jason Kirkpatrick March 10, 2016

That does not allow the value to be reset to NULL in the database, which is required for an "Unresolved" status.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 10, 2016

Jason is right here, you can not clear the resolution in a transition by using a screen.  You need to use the transition method stated in my answer - clear the resolution in a post-function

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 3, 2016

Please, do not say "resolution status".  Resolution and Status are totally separate things.

The problem you've got here is that you've customised your workflow and removed the things that were setting the resolution field when you get to the end of an issue's lifecycle.

Have a quick look at the default JIRA workflow, as it's a good stable example.  In there, the users have decided that both status of "resolved" and "closed" should be "ended", and hence, if you look at the transitions into those status, you will find that they have a Screen that contains the resolution field, which means the user is asked for and always sets a resolution.  (You can also do that with a post-function if you don't want to ask the user for a resolution).  On the way out of those status and back to any of the others where an issue should be "unresolved", you will find a post-function that says "clear the resolution field".

You need to do the same in your workflow.

Deleted user March 3, 2016

Hm, i didnt realize it relied on the resolution field being in a screen. Seems a bit wonky. I'll take a look at it.

EDIT: Also, I have no idea what post-functions are...

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 3, 2016

It's a bit of a hangover from JIRA 1, and something I've always thought was clunky and needed changing (I'd group status together into meta-status, rather than a simple open/closed)

A post-function is a workflow artefact - it's "something to run when a transition executes".  There's a standard 5 of them added to transitions by default to do things like fire events, update the index, save the issue etc, but you can add your own.  Including set/clear resolution.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events