How to connect Jira with SQL Server 2008 R2?

axchemezov May 2, 2016

JIRA configurator tell that "its okay i see connection", but when I start JIRA Service it tell that there is some error:

JIRA — Internal Server Error

Error reference: aa5fe2b7-e4a0-4c4c-8b14-7ac0bc3767d7

Unable to render full error details at this time. Please consult the error logs for more information.

Okay here is log files for today https://yadi.sk/d/eQdogeBTrRp52 (at first it was H2 data base, then I start connect SQL Server 2008 R2)

3 answers

0 votes
axchemezov May 2, 2016

Here is piece of log file Atlassian-jira.log when JIRA tryung to start https://yadi.sk/d/jixrleh7rSbhB

I think problem in this piece of log (but i dont understand what is that about):

You are using an unsupported mssql collation: Cyrillic_General_CI_AS. This may cause some functionality to not work.
Please use SQL_Latin1_General_CI_AI or SQL_Latin1_General_CP437_CI_AI as the collation instead.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 2, 2016

Um, that chunk of log doesn't mention the collation at all.

But, it is a valid warning.  Collation is a setting about how a database compares characters in data.  You don't need to worry too much about the precise reasons why this might be a problem, but you do need to switch to a database with supported settings.

axchemezov May 2, 2016

But how looks like that supported settings? Database in MS SQL was created automatically, and JIRA can see connection if I click "Test connection", but when I Start Jira, it tell that something wrong. I was try install jTDS driver but dont find easy documentation for someone who does not know Java.I think that jTDS can resolve this problem. I look a lot web site but cant find the answer ((

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 2, 2016

No, it's not that, although I do understand why you thought that might be it, and your idea is good.

The database for MS-SQL was not created automatically.  Your database administrator had to set up an empty one, with a user who has full access to it.  JIRA then used that user to create all the base data it needed.  But, collation is a setting done at the database creation time, not initial population.  The database has been created with a collation that does not work for JIRA - you'll need to convert it to a collation type that works, or start with a new empty one that has the correct collation set at the time your admin creates it.

axchemezov May 3, 2016

Oh, thank you I think I start understand what to do next..

The database for MS-SQL was not created automatically - yes , When I make database in MS SQL I was following the instructions on the site documentation for JIRA. but probably i miss some important detail.. Dont remember anything about collation. can you please tell what collation  I will need to set when I will try make new database for jira? what collation is right for jira?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 3, 2016
axchemezov May 3, 2016

Thank you very much. I will try following this instruction.

0 votes
Ahmad Awadallah May 2, 2016

What version of JIRA are you using?  You may be using a JIRA version that no longer supports SQL Server 2008 R2.  Was this working at one point, or is this a new setup?   

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 2, 2016

What does the JIRA application log file say the problem is?  Atlassian-jira.log in the <JIRA home>/log directory

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events