How to change parent's issue status when move transition in Sub-task?

Hisamitsu Koga June 14, 2016

I want to change parent's issue status when move transition in Sub-task?

How can I perform this? Please let me know any info.

3 answers

0 votes
Deleted user February 28, 2018

I am unable to find GreenHopper anymore. The trial page throws an error. Some help? Anyone?

0 votes
Kalpana Ramesh June 19, 2016

Hi,

I am working on a similar issue and we aren't using the plugin. Is there a way to do it using the groovy script post function?

Thank you. 

0 votes
Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 14, 2016
  • What is the "move transition"?
  • Are you on JIRA Cloud or are you self-hosting JIRA?
  • Misc Workflow Extensions add-on for JIRA has a workflow post-function called "Transition Parent."

https://innovalog.atlassian.net/wiki/display/JMWE/Post-functions#Post-functions-15-TransitionParentIssue(newin2.1)

Hisamitsu Koga June 14, 2016

When transition (e.g. from status "Open" to "In Progress) happens in Sub-task, I want to change

parent's issue status to any status. JIRA Server, not JIRA Cloud. "Transition Parent Issue" can help

me. Thank you.

Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 14, 2016

If you have more specific questions please ask. smile

Like Tijmen van Gulik likes this
manjunatha k r June 15, 2016

Hi, 

I am using same work flow for both parent Task and sub-task and tried to use the above said post function (i,e "Transition Parent Issue") when the issue state transitions from "In Progress to Done" state as below.

Update parameters of the Transition parent issue Function for this transition.
Transition: 
Type the name or ID of the transition to trigger on the parent issue.

And I started transitioning the sub-task state from To Do to In Progress and then in-turn transitioned to "Done" state. But parent task is in To Do State only even after moving the sub-task status from In Progress to Done state.

I am not sure why it's not moving parent task status from To Do to Done.

whether there is any issue in using/sharing the same workflow for both parent and sub-tasks for a specific Issue Type? 

Deleted user July 1, 2016

manju, check the value on Resolution field for both sub-task and the parent issue. If any of your sub task is not resolved or done, parent issue is not done either.

Jamie Roberts July 27, 2016

What would you recommend for JIRA Cloud users? The JIRA Misc Workflow add on will no longer be available after 7/31/2016.

I have 2 separate WFs - 1 for subtasks; 1 for stories - that are pretty similar (to do -> in prog -> done). I need the parent issue to transition to it's subtasks' corresponding status when the subtask is transitioned. I do not have a 'transition parent' post function anymore, or anything that corresponds to this type of function.

Any advice? 

Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 27, 2016

@Jamie Roberts please check out this link – https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/jira-miscellaneous-workflow-extensions-jmwe-removal-from-jira-cloud-815262011.html

It details the removal of JMWE. Specifically, David Fischer is creating most of the Post-Functions in his previous add-on in a new, Connect-compatible add-on.

We are doing everything we can to mitigate the final impact to customers:

1. Atlassian will re-implement several of the most popular conditions and validators as native JIRA functionality. We plan to provide a seamless automatic migration where possible.
  2. The developer of the original JMWE add-on will provide a new add-on that offers many of the same post-functions. You will be able to install this add-on on your instance and migrate to the replacement post-functions.
Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 27, 2016

Alternatively you could extend Connect Post-functions OR REST API scripting OR Webhooks/REST API scripting to accomplish this yourself.

Jamie Roberts July 27, 2016

Ok thank you!! Is the Connect-compatible add on a subscription one, or free?

Steve Behnke [DiscoverEquip.com]
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 27, 2016

I do not know. You may consider reaching out to David Fischer from Innovalog. He can answer and he is very fast. 

Personally, I would imagine it will be paid.

The old Misc Workflow Extensions is not free... It hasn't been free for JIRA Standalone customers, but it has been included in JIRA Cloud subscriptions because nothing added functionality like it. I suppose it was just deemed necessary in the past.

Now that Atlassian is (finally) implementing the majority of the functions themselves, they can remove the 'free but not free' add-on from JIRA. Unfortunately, they are not implementing the Transition Parent function themselves sad.

rnord May 29, 2017

Paying for JMWE only to use it for "Transition Parent" (which I frankly feel is something missing in JIRA) is a total rip-off.

Is there any other way of accomplishing the same thing without JMWE?

Like Grant Sutton likes this
Steven Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 29, 2017

Well, that's neither here nor there. Obviously if you buy an add-on for a single function, you might feel like you're not a good deal. Furthermore, JIRA being so flexible, is hounded constantly by "what people feel like should be included." JIRA is appealing because it can easily model a variety of business processes but that doesn't mean it caters to all of these business processes.

Your options are to check out one of the dozen or so scripting add-ons or to write a post-function yourself. Some of these approaches are free but JIRA is pretty extendable regardless. You do need to know a thing or two to implement though.

Suggest an answer