How to change Server ID for already licensed JIRA and which is in use

Prakash Palanisamy June 18, 2018

Hi,

Would like to know how to change the server ID for our developement instance, as of now the server ID is as same of production.

When it concerns for an application link to configure for confluence, throws server ID error as linked already. I have gone through the KB, https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/changing-server-id-for-test-installations-285839562.html. 

I didn't get the point here,

1) Can't we change the server ID for development instance which is in use? If so please suggest me how to proceed.

Thanks in advance!!

1 answer

0 votes
Marcos Sanchez
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 19, 2018

Hi,

First of all, I don't think that this is a good practice.

I think that your DEV environment is a full "copy-paste" of PRO environment, am I wrong?

A better way to create a DEV environment from a PRO environment is to:

• Make an export of PRO
  • Install a new clean JIRA
  • Import the PRO export into the new clean JIRA

Anyway, if you want to modify the Server ID, you can do it from database.

Remember to stop your JIRA before updating its ID

As the KB you sent say, you can get you Server ID with this SQL query:

select * from propertystring where id in (select id from propertyentry where PROPERTY_KEY='jira.sid.key');

And you can update your Server ID with this SQL query (remember to replace <ID> with the desired ID):

UPDATE propertystring SET propertyvalue = '<ID>' where id = (select id from propertyentry where PROPERTY_KEY='jira.sid.key');

If your instance is in a MySQL environment, is recomended use this SQL query instead of the one above:

UPDATE propertystring SET propertyvalue = '<ID>' where id = (select id from propertyentry where PROPERTY_KEY='jira.sid.key');

Hope it helps.

Regards,
Marcos

Prakash Palanisamy June 19, 2018

Thanks for your reply Marcos.

--I think that your DEV environment is a full "copy-paste" of PRO environment, am I wrong? DEV is not a complete copy-paste of PROD, we do a refresh from PROD to DEV to get the DEV data refreshed on demand.

The case here is we are holding a separate "App server" and "DB server" for both PROD and DEV.

Marcos Sanchez
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 19, 2018

Well, so you have an APP server and DB server for each one, not just one and shared right?

You can do it the SQL way without problem. I've just tried with a Test environment that I have and it seems to work fine.

we do a refresh from PROD to DEV to get the DEV data refreshed on demand.

In this refresh, what data do you take?

Because if you "overwrite" the database data, it will reset the ID.

Suggest an answer