How to calculate average velocity using eazyBI

Ryan March 24, 2016

I'd like to create a calculated measure that shows the average velocity of the sprints displayed in my chart. For example, in the attached image, a fourth column would show that the velocity across all sprints is 21. Can anyone provide guidance?

Thank you.

Velocity.jpg

2 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Lauma Cīrule
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 1, 2016

Hi Ryan,

Easier way of doing this would be to add the All Sprints level and add a new calculated member that would calculate average for all Sprints on the All level - the 'Story points closed' measure would not be necessary as it shows average only on all level, but for each individual Sprint shows the Story points closed.

See screenshot example with Story points resolved (I did not have good data for Story points closed)
eazyBI_JIRA_plugin.png 

Here is the formula for the Average using Story points closed as in your example 

Avg(Filter(
  Descendants([Sprint].CurrentMember, [Sprint].[Sprint]),
    [Measures].[Story Points closed] > 0),
  [Measures].[Story Points closed]
)

Let me know if there is anything else I can assist you with!
Kind regards,
Lauma / support@eazybi.com 

0 votes
Ryan April 4, 2016

Hi, Lauma. Thank you for this. It's almost exactly what I'm looking for. The problem I have now is the "last 90 days" portion. It seems to be pulling in any sprint that had an issue change status in the past 90 days. (e.g., Sprint 4 ended a year ago, but a story from Sprint 4 had a status change last week. This seems to be causing Sprint 4 to now be included in the data.) I want to only include data from sprints that closed in the past 90 days. Can you help me take it to that level? Thanks again.

-Ryan

Lauma Cīrule
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 4, 2016

You are correct, the Story points closed measure with Time dimension is grouping the data based on when it was recorded. So if the story is closed now, it does not matter when the Sprint was closed, it shows that in last 90 days there was a story closed in this sprint. 

In the case you have described, you should not use the Time dimension, but create a new calculated member in Sprint dimension that groups all Sprints that are closed and have End date in last 90 days. Following formula would do that

Aggregate({
  Filter([Sprint].[Sprint].Members,
    [Measures].[Sprint Closed?] = 'Yes' AND 
    DateBetween([Sprint].CurrentMember.get('End date'),'90 days ago','today')
  )
})

Then you can select this calculated member from Sprint dimension instead of All Sprints. 
Additional changes will be necessary also to the average story points closed to show the Average on the highest level of the aggregated sprints. Change it to following 

Avg(Filter(
  Descendants({[Sprint].CurrentMember,
    ChildrenSet([Sprint].CurrentMember)}, [Sprint].[Sprint]),
    [Measures].[Story Points closed] > 0),
  [Measures].[Story Points closed]
)

Here is a screenshot example
eazyBI_JIRA_plugin_2.png

Kind regards,

Ryan April 4, 2016

Lauma-

Thank you! This is exactly what I hoped for!

-Ryan

kumar jira July 10, 2018

@Lauma Cīrule Hi Luama 

I tried doing this but i got error like this,

Formula is not valid

Syntax error at line 4, Column 38, token ‘&gt’

Lauma Cīrule
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 11, 2018

Hi @kumar jira

Somehow the formatting changed greater than sign to symbols. I already changed this in the original formula, please change to > also in your formula.

Let me know if that helped and thank you for letting me know about this!

kumar jira July 11, 2018

Thank you very much for your quick update.

I tried but the average line is not showing.

I copied the same thing as updated, do i need to change anything else? like Formatting value.

Please let me know.

Thank you. 

kumar jira July 11, 2018
Lauma Cīrule
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 11, 2018

@kumar jira, could you select the Story points closed measure to see if you have some Story points closed to calculate the average over?

I would need some more information about your environment and report setup to understand why the value is not showing. Please send report definition and screenshots, if possible, to support@eazybi.com for further investigation.

Suggest an answer