How to bulk edit custom label fields with the same options as the standard label?

Deleted user November 21, 2016

We have a lot of projects but they all belong to an overarching milestone release cycle they can join up.

For example we have three projects: core, imaging and templating. With the current versions core: 5.5, Imaging: 3.1 and templating: 1.2. Now for the next bigger release milestone we have two issue in templating and one issue in imaging. So the next versions will be core: 5.5 (still because it has seen no change), imaging: 3.2 and templating: 1.3.

To reflect and coordinate this larger release milestone cycle we want to use a custom field. The type label seems to be exactly what we want especially with the dynamic functionality for search and bulk edits.

But now our problem: In bulk edits the custom field of type label doesn't have the expected options to "Add to existing" or "Find and remove these". Is there a way to use the bulk edit operations of the standard label field for custom fields as well? Or is there a plugin which provides similar functionality?

Expected:

Bulk_Operation_standard_label.png

Actual:

Bulk_Operation_custom_label.png

1 answer

1 vote
Sam Hall
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 21, 2016
Deleted user November 21, 2016

It might be an option. But it somehow feels very odd to use an additional plugin for a feature that feels like a basic functionality.

Sam Hall
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 21, 2016

Edit: Apologies. I misread your question slightly. Updated comment:

------

Yes, as you say/found, this function only works as standard for the standard "Labels" field and not for custom label fields, so an add-on like that is needed. Odd that Atlassian didn't implement fully when fixing https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-24118, but I don't know why.

According to the comments in there, this is the suggestion for Atlassian to implement: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-41523

Sam

Deleted user November 22, 2016

We are using 6.4.13 and I tested it on our test environment with 7.2.5 and it does not behave like this there. It replaces an existing list with the labels I specified in the bulk edit.

Sam Hall
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 23, 2016

What did you test? The add-on?

Deleted user November 28, 2016

No sorry: I tested if bulk edits behaves additive for custom label fields. And they don't in 6.4.13 and 7.2.5. 

Sam Hall
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 29, 2016

Ah OK. I found the same. Sorry if I caused any confusion, but edited my comment on 22/Nov. Sadly, it appears that JRA-24118 allowed additive updates only for system fields, but not custom fields. JRA-41523 seems to be the request for that, which I see you've already commented on : )

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events