How to automatically assign all Issues to a person other than project lead

Jim Hackney April 21, 2016

When any issue is created I would like them to be automatically assigned to a person other than the project lead. Is this possible? I've found links on how to set it to the project lead and how to do it depending upon issue type but not all types.

This link shows how to assign issue types to a user. https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/how-to-automatically-assign-an-issue-to-a-user-based-on-issue-type-704413717.html

Will I have to configure new workflows for every issue type and assign them to the one person and then add them all to the workflow scheme or is there a more efficient way of doing it?

2 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Chander Inguva
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 21, 2016

Hey Jim,

Other way to do is, if you have a script runner plugin you can write a script post function on create transition as

issue.setAssigneeId= "username"

script=post-function.PNG

Hope this helps

Regards

Chander Inguva

Unfortunately I do not. Oh well, I'll do it the hard way. Thanks for the help. smile

1 vote
Deleted user April 21, 2016

Yes, the non-script way is to create different workflows for different issue types, but it's easier than you think; just use the workflow 'copy' capability change the name and the assignee... done, next issue type.

You will need to update your schema also, but not as bad as building everything from scratch.

Yeah, that's what I ended up doing. It sure would be a lot easier if JIRA would just allow you to change the default assignee to any project member. It seems like a no-brainer. Oh well. I guess they have their reasons.

Hummm.... I wonder if you could use multiple transitions with a validator based on the issue type and then different post condition to update the assignee?

May have to try that out and see...

Nope validator will not work but condition might... still playing...

ummmm.... Jim - just reread your post. Are you just trying to set an assignee default for a project regardless of issue type or trying to set an assignee default for a project based on the issue type?

I was trying to have all created issues, regardless of type, go to one person who isn't the project lead or component lead. 

By go to I mean be assigned to

OMG then I sent you in the wrong direction!

While that indeed works, it's probably overkill...

Actually all you had to do was go to the existing workflow(s) for the project and add a post condition to the create transition to update an issue field and select assignee, enter the person you want assigned;

image2016-4-21 15:46:45.png

You don't need a separate workflow for each type unless the assignee changes, a single default workflow would have worked.

LOL! Oh well. I was working in test anyway. I'll do it the other way for production. That will save a lot of work.

Jeff Louwerse
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 22, 2016

Seems like a lot of work not to use the Project Lead.  I am curious, what are you using the Project Lead field for if not for the default assignee?    Maybe it is our setup but that is the only thing that field is useful for.  It doesn't have any special permissions or anything like that...

The bonus to using Project Lead, the "AUTOMATIC"  function in the assignee drop down or link works.. but using a post function.. it doesn't.  And don't forget to do a check if doing post functions to check that it wasn't assigned when created.  ie. if (Assignee == null or Assignee == Project Lead) {}

Deleted user April 22, 2016

Actually in a "True" Agile shop, the choice would be Automatic. As the team pulls work into their In Progress status that person is automatically assigned to the issue. Using the Project Lead option usually means someone has the task of assigning issues to team members instead - more 'managed teams' as opposed to 'self managed'.

Jim Hackney April 22, 2016

The way our shop is set up is that I'm the JIRA administrator (as well as a developer) for 7 different projects managers. Instead of having one template for everyone, our shop has decided that each project manager can set up their project as they see fit and I make it happen. In this case, the project manager wants to be an administrator, the project lead and the component lead. Why? It's a control issue I guess. However, I since I'm brand new at this I did not know that being the default assignee was the only thing the project lead was good for. I'm going to talk to the PM. If the present guy the project is assigned to leaves it would be a lot easier to change the project lead than doing it the way we're doing it now

Thank you for the information

Suggest an answer