How to automate creation of repeated tasks in new sprints

Patrick Mazzotta February 3, 2016

We've got some analysis work that needs to happen with each sprint in our project. We're looking at weekly sprints, so manually creating the same tickets every single time sucks (and is at risk of getting missed/forgotten).

Is there a way to automatically generate a set of tickets on the creation of each sprint?

4 answers

3 votes
Nicolas Bourdages
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 3, 2016

Issue Templates is indeed cool, but it creates only one issue (and its subtasks) at a time. You can automate issue creation for several parent-level issues in workflow post-functions, but that's not quite what you need.

A nice free solution is Quick Subtasks, which creates a bunch of subtasks from a template. 

I think the most efficient would be Clone+, where you could have a batch of parent-level issues that act as your default stories (just leave them in a future sprint you never start) and mass-clone them when you start your sprint.

That being said, it's a bit unusual to have recurring tasks like this in a sprint. If what you have is recurring Subtasks (like, each story has an analysis subtask), then Issue Templates or Quick Subtasks would work fine. Maybe you could tell us a bit more about your setup?

GabrielleJ
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 3, 2016

I will vote +1 on the Clone smile

Patrick Mazzotta February 17, 2016

I may use this approach. Our use-case is probably atypical of most JIRA users. We're a analytics department in an agency, and our work with clients is on a weekly cadence. We have tasks that are repeated with weekly data updates (i.e. data integrity and validation work), then we have one-off and ad-hoc investigations that get slotted into our workflow. We have regular client-facing work that goes out in various cadences as well. We're not developers but we do follow agile processes for our weekly work. Our weekly data validation and weekly reporting is what I want to have automatically created with every sprint.

If I create this sprint "template" that never launches, can I just clone the sprint with everything inside it?

Nicolas Bourdages
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 18, 2016

You can't clone a sprint. You can't create a sprint through the API either, so the scripted solution is out I guess.

You could always do a blitz and prepare several sprints in advance. Manually create all the sprints for the coming month, do a bunch of clones, and forget about it for a whole month.

Patrick Mazzotta February 18, 2016

That gets pretty close to just doing standard issue cloning and throwing into sprints though... so it doesn't sound like that much of an advantage over default functionality.

Nicolas Bourdages
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 18, 2016

The advantage is that you clone the issues in bulk rather than one at a time. The gains are greater the more issues you have. 

Like Bea Estremera likes this
1 vote
Mateusz Daleki [Codedoers] September 10, 2018

Hello @Patrick Mazzotta

Please check the Repeating Issues add-on. It allows you to create issues by cloning or creating sub-tasks. You can also schedule workflow execution. All actions can be repeated in regular dates, e.g. every two weeks. The add-on provide simple UI to quick setup the repeating directly on issue view and has a lot of feature (like support for non-working days, bulk repeating setup, velocity expressions in field values and much more...). You can decide if issue sprint values should be cloned or not. Here you can find the add-on documentation.

If you have more questions or suggestions please submit a support request.

Regards,

Mateusz

1 vote
Bob Swift OSS (Bob Swift Atlassian Apps)
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 3, 2016

This is cool. I suppose I could adapt it to create the actual sprint, then throw the default tasks inside the sprint - right?

Bob Swift OSS (Bob Swift Atlassian Apps)
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 17, 2016

What you do in the privacy of your own server is up to you wink.

1 vote
GabrielleJ
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 3, 2016

You have an option to create "Issue Templates" and just clone them to re-use them. You may also want to take a look at JIRA Issue Templates (https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.intenso.jira.issue-templates/server/overview)

Cool, I'll read up on this.

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer