How to add transitions in an active workflow

Dennis King May 26, 2016

I have a few workflows with a Blocked status that I allowed transition into from all statuses. These workflows are now in use. I realize now I don't have transitions out of them; issues in Blocked are stuck there. When I try to edit the workflow to add a transition from Blocked to another status, I get the error "you cannot perform this operation on a draft workflow." It is only a draft workflow because I clicked the Edit button; it was already published and active.

I copied one of the workflows, and while it was inactive I was able to make the change. However, this would mean creating new workflows and updating all the projects that use the existing workflows, changing the workflow for each affected issue type. Not an acceptable option.

Does anyone know the solution? Thanks so much!

image2016-5-26 9:38:15.pngimage2016-5-26 9:39:37.pngimage2016-5-26 9:40:28.png

2 answers

0 votes
Dennis King May 26, 2016

Thanks for the quick reply. Where do I add a vote to get this resolved? This problem has existed for a long time (a couple of years at least?), based on previous questions I saw.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 26, 2016

Hmm.  I don't even have it bookmarked, the problem is so old.  I remember it in JIRA 3.low-number

Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 26, 2016

Just to help out, this is a suggestion and not a bug. It is a known limitation and requires a lot of work to fix. You can help out by adding your use-case to the Feature Suggestion – https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-19091

This known limitation is documented here – https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/cannot-add-transitions-or-delete-steps-in-draft-workflows-203392961.html

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 26, 2016

I'm afraid it's a known bug in the workflow editor - the draft mode can't add outgoing transitions to status that don't have any already.

Your only option is the "not acceptable" option - clone, edit and migrate to new workflows.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events