How to achieve requirements traceability between requirement documents and tasks in Jira + Confluence?

Roberto Saltini June 13, 2016

I have been through several JIRA and Confluence add-ons for managing requirements being:

• R4J
  • RMSIS
  • Requirement Yogi
  • SynapseRT
  • Impact
  • Traceability Matrix and Link Graph
  • Vivid Trace for JIRA

However, from my understanding none of the above add-ons is able to achieve all the followings:

• Generate Word or PDF document of the requirements with the ability to add introduction sections. e.g. background, overall description
  • Generate multi-level traceability,something similar to what Impact or Vivid Trace do, but between documents. For example, if I have a system requirements document, a hardware requirements document and a software requirement documents, I would like to have a multi-level traceability the shows me the link from the system requirements document to the hardware requirements document to the software requirements document highlighting to which document each requirements belongs
  • If a relationship exists between system requirements S1 and hardware requirement H1, mark the link suspicious if one of the two requirements is modified
  • Associate requirements documents version to a particular software/hardware/system release

Any suggestion?

3 answers

0 votes
Yves Berquin [Matrix Requirements] September 14, 2016

Hello Roberto,

We have a standalone Clouds application: Matrix Requirements Medical that does exactly what you ask.

It is linked to JIRA through an add-on that allows you to link a missing requirement to a JIRA ticket asking someone to add the functionality, or to JIRA ticket for a failed test etc.

It is called Medical because on top of the features you require we also have the ability to deal with Risk management per ISO14971. This is an optional module.

Best regards

Yves Berquin

co-founder, Matrix Requirements GmbH

0 votes
Siani Kayani July 17, 2016

I have the same question.  In the meantime, to get around this traceability issue on my end and many other obstacles, I have built a prototyping software that allows an end user to mock-up what the end product might look like, while capturing the business requirement IDs of other repositories like JIRA, Confluence, HP's QC/ALM, etc. for each field component and each form. This software exports everything into PDF and Word. It might not work exactly like you might want it to, but it's good start in my opinion. Here's a little bit about it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9SJmoM30aE. If you're interested in checking it out, I'll send you a free copy if you e-mail me at: siani@templatetool.net.

Hopefully Atlassian can tell us how to do what you're asking within their suite of products, or add it as a new feature.

0 votes
dovid dashevsky June 14, 2016

i have same question

Suggest an answer