How to JIRA 3?

Tony Montana
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 11, 2016

We have a JIRA 3.13.4 to provide support services company. It is necessary to keep track of how much time a query is processed. How can I do that? If the automatic registration of time spent as Worklog only when sending the request to a different status?

Unfortunately, the transition to a Service Desk is not possible

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 11, 2016

It's actually quite hard in JIRA, and you need to be clear on how you're measuring things.

Generally, people will take one of two approaches to measuring the time.  Both are valid and both are useful, because they measure different things.

One is elapsed time, which, in JIRA, is almost always the time between entering one status and leaving a status (e.g. development time might be the time between the issue entering "in progress", cycling through dev and test things, and then ending when it moves into "resolved".  Or "processing time" might be the whole thing from "created" to "closed")

The other is worked time, which is a bit easier to explain - you just add up all the work that has been logged on it.

JIRA captures the data you need to work out both of these, and there's plenty of reporting options for "worked time".  But, off the shelf, it's a bit weak on "elapsed time".  You can always look at the issue history, but for reporting in bulk, you need to get add-ons to help you.

Normally, I'd say have a look in the marketplace, as there's plenty of options in there.

But you are on an unsupported, insecure and deprecated version of JIRA from a time before the marketplace when the ecosystem was a lot smaller.  You could still try there, as there are add-ons that go back that far, but I can't remember any that were available for JIRA 3 that really solved the reporting on elapsed time problem.  Except the one I wrote for a client for JIRA 2 (never went to marketplace, never had the time, and they owned it anyway)

(You can probably guess that I strongly recommend that you upgrade)

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events