How much more memory does JIRA need for Kinto Soft SQL for JIRA?

Thomas Berger
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 28, 2016

I want to test SQL for JIRA add-on, but I'm not having too much luck. I'm wondering if my instance doesn't have enough memory available?

We have our JIRA behind an Apache proxy setup over https, is that supposed to work with SQL for JIRA?

Thanks in advance!

3 answers

1 vote
Thomas Berger March 29, 2016

Thanks Pablo, I did enable it again and had to wait for the SQL console to finally load. But it seems to be working now.

1 vote
Pablo Beltran
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 28, 2016

What is the exact problem? 

SQL for JIRA has a really very small memory footprint. All the tables are empty and they are populated with users' data according to the SQL being performed, so it does not require extra memory in order to test....

1 vote
Nicolas Bourdages
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 29, 2016

There's no quick and easy answer for "how much memory should I have". Performance tuning is an ongoing process which needs to be assessed in various ways. A good start is this page. In summary:

• Your Java Heap size should be not too high, not too low.
  • You should probably get tools like Javamelody (it's free) to monitor memory and CPU usage. This way, you'll see if Garbage collection works well and CPU doesn't get too high.
  • You should do load tests outside work hours. There are lots of tools to help with this, but JMeter is free and works well.

As for your question specific for the plugin, I see no reason why it shouldn't work if your proxy settings are ok. But seeing as the plugin is not formally supported, you're pretty much on your own.

The same developer has another plugin, SQL for JIRA Reports and Charts, which is supported. Depending on your needs, you might want to use that one instead.

Suggest an answer