How does the security impact the @mentions?

ChristineA February 14, 2017

by security , I mean : project permissions, issue security level and comment security

in other words. will a mentioned user get email notification if

• he cannot see/browse the project?
  • he cannot see the issue?
  • he cannot see the comment he is mentionned in?

The only doc I could find about @mentions in JIRA doc is here (rather short) :https://confluence.atlassian.com/jiracoreserver071/editing-and-collaborating-on-issues-802172683.html

Thanks

5 answers

0 votes
Claudio Butturini April 8, 2020

Regarding this question, I'm also looking for a way to manage the @mentioned users. In fact, in a project I set with the security level the possibility of opening "private tasks" and "everyone's tasks". Private tasks can be viewed and managed only by the reporter and the assignee (therefore two users at a time). Public are visible and manageable by all users of the project. To do this, I worked both on the authorization scheme and on the project security scheme. However, there is a case that I am unable to set, the task must be able to be seen only by some users of the Project and not by all, but also by users who are not reporters or assignees: a task therefore "restricted access". So I thought about choosing the @mentioned users, but I don't know how to give them the possibility to see the tasks in the safety schemes of the Projects. This is important in order to manage common projects but where there are tasks that can only be managed by some project users who are not known in advance. Can you help me understand how to do it?

0 votes
Ewa Mryczko February 19, 2020

I have a project with very sensitive data. I would like to set up issue security only for reporter and dev team who will work on it. But sometimes in task I need to mention somebody. It can be anybody from our jira software users. How can I set up security permission for those mentions people? They can have a different role.

0 votes
ChristineA February 21, 2017

Thanks @Tarun Sapra and @Nic Brough [Adaptavist]

You are right about the browse issue permission : a user cannot be mentioned if he cannot see the issue (and thus if he cannot browse the project either)

Regarding the third part of my question : I could mention a user in a protected comment, and he did receive a notification, even if he cannot see the comment !

0 votes
Tarun Sapra
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 14, 2017

You can only @mention people who have the right to view an issue. Thus, the user can anyway browse/see the issue only then you can mention him.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 14, 2017

A user must be able to see an issue or comment to get email about it.  Otherwise it's a potential information leak.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events