How does Jira scale from a single instance to multiple autonomous teams?

Lincoln Kirk July 21, 2016

We are looking to widen the deployment of JIRA in our environment. There are four functional teams. Those teams will have their own projects, sprint schedules, and backlogs. How do I make this happen? Ideally, in that environment, I would like to be able to pull resources as needed to work on different projects. All within a single JIRA install. Our deployment is server based. Any help you can provide would be greatly helpful!!!

2 answers

0 votes
Nicolas Bourdages
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 21, 2016

This is all very easy to do. Four JIRA projects, each with their own Scrum board. As for permissions, since your resources may switch from one project to the other, I would just create role-specific groups, like Developer or Designer, assign them in the corresponding Project Roles in all four projects and grant your permissions to Project Roles in a Permission scheme shared to all four projects.

That way, any given user would have the same rights across all projects.

Later on, you might want to get some plugins, like Tempo Timesheet / Planner for time management and resource planning, or Portfolio for high-level planning across projects.

0 votes
HarryH
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 21, 2016

My suggestion is sharing one backlogs, and create different sprints for different projects.

Suggest an answer