How do you search on "Parent Link" in JQL?

Abel Lineberger October 6, 2016

The field "parent link" as exposed in JIRA Portfolio does not seem to be apparent to JQL queries.  How do you search for epics that are linked to the same parent Initiative?

3 answers

2 votes
María
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 7, 2017

Hi everyone, 

It's been a while but here you can find the documentation relative to parent link search.

Screen Shot 2017-09-08 at 08.42.15.png

Michael bagley August 16, 2018

Hello we are running Portfolio for Jira ver 2.4 and we are having issues with parent link is not empty jql query. Has anyone else ran into this issue?

1 vote
Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 6, 2016

This is not currently possible. I'd imagine this will be resolved soon, but the Parent Link field was just implemented so I would hope that searching capabilities aren't far behind.

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JPO-1579

0 votes
María
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 6, 2016

Hello Abel, 

The Parent link search feature will be released very soon, stay tuned. 
Kind Regards, 
Maria Mallorquín
Portfolio for JIRA Tech Writer
PTorrSmithMSD October 16, 2016

Hi @Maria Mallorquin Canet. 

What's the ETA on that?  We're trying very hard to implement SAFe on JIRA and Portfolio, and are using the Parent Link.  However without this we can't filter "SAFe Features" (JIRA Epics) based on their Parent Link (to "SAFe Epic/Initiative").  Should we abandon this approach, or is there a hack or a issue.property we can use, or is it likely to be released in the JQL search in the next week or two?

Thanks

Peter

Rhys Christian
Atlassian Team
October 16, 2016

Hey Peter,

Parent link JQL functionality has been implemented as part of Portfolio 2.1 which released on the 7th.

You can filter for your SAFe Features based on the Parent link by searching for the issue key (e.g "Parent link" = INIT-1).

Note that the interface behaviour has some inconsistencies with how searching for Epic Link works. 1. The issue key needs to be in all caps.
2. You can also type the Initiative/SAFe Epic name for suggestions but they won't appear unless you have complete words (won't search for substring of words).

Please let me know if you're having any problems with this.

Thanks,
Rhys

Hi Rhys.  Thanks for such a quick response, much appreciated.

image2016-10-17 19:33:56.png

Unfortunately I can't seem to get JIRA "Search for Issues" to accept this JQL, but I have put the Parent Link issue type in scope of all projects etc and am succesfully linking them in the create/edit of the child, and showing the children in the parent issue, and they are reflecting in Portfolio. So it's strange that I can't search for issues with a certain parent-link (even though I know the link is there, with many child issues below it). 

image2016-10-17 19:35:17.png

image2016-10-17 19:36:46.png

Any thoughts? 

We are on JIRA and JIRA Portfolio Cloud so should have all the latest updates.

Thanks

Peter

And have tried with "Parent link" = ITAMPPF-49 and a few other variations, single quotes, no quotes, but no joy.

Perhaps, is there a underlying field code that could be used, such as

cf[11303]  

??

but I have no idea what the field code is.

Thanks

@Rhys Christian, I've looked at our cloud add-ons, and notice our Portfolio for JIRA is Version 2.0.9  (not 2.1.x as per your comment above).

Is 2.1 not yet fully rolled out to all Cloud instances yet perhaps?

image2016-10-17 19:49:52.png

Ok, so on Showing Portfolio custom fields in JIRA Software, in the Conditions: section, it states that "JQL search is not available yet." sad 

image2016-10-17 20:14:33.png

So hoping this is just being rolled out to Cloud now?

Rhys Christian
Atlassian Team
October 16, 2016

Hey Peter,

Apologies, I should've mentioned this feature isn't yet available on Cloud.

Releases for cloud were held back during Summit. 2.1 is expected to be available for Cloud this week.

Magic, thanks, look forward to getting the update... my JQL awaits a willing query engine wink

PTorrSmithMSD October 17, 2016

Hiya.

Interesting how the "What's New" page shows this was released to Cloud on 7th October (Version 2.1.2-OD-001 as you advised)

https://confluence.atlassian.com/cloud/what-s-new-686863216.html#What'sNew-portfolio

image2016-10-18 21:47:40.png

10 days later we still don't appear to have this release in our instance sad

Do you know if there's a page that shows the rollout schedule for "regions", "zones" or nodes if such things exist in Atlassian Cloud?  

Cheer

Peter

María
Atlassian Team
October 18, 2016

Hello Peter, 

You're are right, we just noticed there was a mistake on the release notes that has already been fixed. The version that includes parent and teams field searchable via sql hasn't been release for Cloud yet.

Sorry about the confusion.

Kind Regards,

Michael Adams June 7, 2019

@María - Is this still the case.  We're seriously needing to search for and filter by Parent Link.  (Epic -> Initiative).  Thanks!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events