How do you notify a user about an issue type change?

mark_mccubbin May 4, 2016

One of our project managers would like to be notified when an issue changes issue type, as different issue types fall under the domain of different managers. One would assume that the "Issue Moved" event would let her do so, since the "Move" function is what is used to change issue type, but apparently that only notifies when an issue enters or leaves a project.

So, does anyone know if there's a way to a user about an issue type change, either within JIRA itself or through an add-on?

4 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Jeremy Gaudet
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 4, 2016

You could write a Script Runner script listener and watch for the Issue Updated event; if the event includes IssueType in the list of changed fields, add the user as a watcher, or send a custom email, or emit a custom event.  If you emit a custom event, you'll still have to add the user to the notification scheme, for that event.

mark_mccubbin May 5, 2016

Thanks, this worked perfectly!

Eric Smith August 5, 2016

Any chance you can share the groovy that you used? I am trying to notify an AD group when a ticket is changed to an Issue Type. So far, I am using a generic event to notify the group when an issue is created with that issue type, but not when an existing ticket is updated to that issue type.

mark_mccubbin August 8, 2016

I just used a simple scripted condition:

issue.issueTypeObject.name == 'Feature Request' && changeItems.any {  it.get('field')=='issuetype' }

Just replace "Feature Request" with whatever your issue type is. I set Script Runner's listener function to run the condition whenever an issue is updated, and fire an event when it evaluates to true.

0 votes
Edson Yanaga May 4, 2016
0 votes
Midori
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 4, 2016

You should also check for the Automation Plugin as an alternative.

It is quite to powerful and I'm sure that I can intercept the issue type change. As action, you could send the email with the PDF Automation add-on (or the Excel Automation add-on) using the Send PDF action. 

0 votes
Rob Horan
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 4, 2016

Have them watch the issue and add All Watchers to Issue Updated in the notification scheme.

mark_mccubbin May 4, 2016

Sorry, to clarify: the manager would like to know whenever any issue changes issue type. She can't realistically watch all issues in the system, nor can she afford to get notified whenever any issue in the system is updated.

GabrielleJ
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 4, 2016

Then update the notification scheme to add a certain role where your manager wants to be.

Suggest an answer