How do you make a context field a description field?

Josh Nye July 31, 2020

I have a custom Issue type with a bunch of custom fields. In the Issue Layout screen I'm trying to move some of my Context Fields into the Description Fields section so that they display when you look at the issue you can see the custom fields.

Screen Shot 2020-07-31 at 12.57.19 AM.png

But when I try to drag and drop the fields into the description field area it's not possible.

What's weird is that 2 of my other custom fields are in the Description fields area but I didn't configure them any differently than the other fields I want in the Desription fields area that wont go into that area.

In the picture below you can see what I'm trying to achieve.

Screen Shot 2020-07-31 at 12.58.01 AM.png

Super interested in what the solution is. Thanks!

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 31, 2020

Hi @Josh Nye 

The Description and Context sections hold different field types - from the page Configure field layout in the new issue view:

Description fields

Description fields generally contain long-form content, like paragraphs of text to describe the issue. The default Description field and other multi-line custom text fields go in this section. This section usually appears on the left side of the issue (or at the top in a single-column layout).

Context fields

Context fields contain the smaller pieces of contextual information that help you sort, filter, and report on issues. This section normally appears down the right side of the issue (or at the bottom in a single-column layout).

^ The fields in your Description area now look like multi-line text fields - whilst the one you've highlighted to move there looks like a drop-down custom field. You can tell from the icon next to the field name (Terminal Count has 3 little lines, Previous Software has a downward arrow in a circle).

So it's not possible to move that field into Description due to its field type.

Ste

Josh Nye July 31, 2020

Hi @Stephen Wright _Elabor8_ ,

Thanks for replying but that's not entirely making sense.

Terminal Count is a short answer custom field, and Customer Main Adress is a multiline custom field. Both are in the Description fields.

However, if you look at the second picture you'll see Customer Phone Number, Instance Subdomain, Pieces Per Day, Customer Service Phone Number, and Customer Name. All of these are short answer custom fields that I can't move into the Description fields. Makes no sense to because Terminal Count is configured no different than those fields (at least from what I can see in the custom field settings).

Any ideas?

Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 31, 2020

Hi @Josh Nye 

Terminal Count is a paragraph field according to your first image - you can tell the difference in the icon between paragraph (three lines) and short text (Aa).

You can test this on your second image view, by clicking on Terminal Count and it should come up with a full text box if it's a paragraph field, as opposed to a single line for short text.

If it does come up as short text, get a screenshot and let us know :)

Ste

Like Jane Brooks likes this
Josh Nye August 1, 2020

@Stephen Wright _Elabor8_ Oops you're right! Is there a list of custom field types that I will allow you to put them in the Description field scevtion?

Also why can't you pick and choose which fields go where? The right column for the context fields is way too skinny for all the fields I have there.

Not sure if you can answer the question above but thanks for the analysis, very helpful!

Josh

Like Jane Brooks likes this
Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 1, 2020

Hi @Josh Nye 

Glad to have helped! If this answer helped resolve your query, could you click the "Accept Answer" button above?

It's only multi-text fields which can go into the Description field section at this stage - in that main body there is also things such as Attachments, Linked Issues, Comments, etc.

I'm not sure why it was designed this way and haven't been able to find an article on it! You can always suggest for this to be enhanced to be more flexible. You can make suggestions here: https://jira.atlassian.com/secure/Dashboard.jspa

Ste

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events