How do you create a new issue within a Kanban board?

William Callaway February 6, 2017

Every time I create an issue, I have to click on the issue, then assign it to my kanban board? 

Can you not create an issue directly?

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 6, 2017

I am sorry, the question is not clear.

Issues are not "assigned to a workflow".  There is no such thing in JIRA.  You click "create", enter some data, submit it, and your issue is created, with the status being the first one in the workflow.

There's nothing to assign, an issue is always at some state in its workflow.

Could you explain

1. What the status says before you "assign it to my workflow"
  2. What action(s) you take to perform "assign it to my workflow"
  3. What changes when you do this
William Callaway February 6, 2017

Hello Nic,

Sorry for the confusion! Thanks for your speedy answer, I've clarified that I was referring to the kanban board. The reason why I used the word Workflow is that after I create an issue, I go to the issue and click the button "Workflow" and then assign it to the appropriate kanban column listed. 

Before I assign it, I get a pop up notification that "Issue created but it is not visible". This pop up is what I click to then assign it. My question is, is there a way to create the issue directly within the kanban board?

Does this clarify the inquiry? 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 6, 2017

Ah, yes, that button is a menu for all the transitions you have in your workflow, barring the first two that appear to the left of it.

The workflow is the process map (think of a simple process flow chart) that underlies your board.  When an issue is created, it is given the first status in the workflow, and then you move it through the workflow, using transitions to change the status.

A Kanban (and Scrum, FWIW) board is a view that selects a set of issues and then puts them into columns, according to their position in the workflow (status).  A column often represents one status in the underlying workflow, but can contain many status, and it's possible to leave status out of columns, and hence not on the board.

What I think you've got is either

1. a board that does not map the first status in your workflow into a column.  So you create an issue and it doesn't go on the board because the status is not in any column.
  2. a board who's filter does not include the issue for some reason

Could you check the board configuration?  Specifically look at what the board filter is, and compare the workflow for your issues with the column mappings.

Suggest an answer