How do you create a Jira project with the same key as existing Confluence Space?

Paul Filmer October 26, 2016

How do you handle the situation when you are adding a new JIRA project to an existing Confluence space, and want to use the same key in both?

We have been using Confluence and now want to start using Jira, and retain the same key between them. The key in confluence is "MAG".

When I go to create a JIRA project with the key "MAG" I get this error that prevents me from proceeding:

Confluence space with that key already exists in the remote instance

It looks like when you create a JIRA project it can create a new Confluence space, providing the key does not already exist. So I thought perhaps I could change the Confluence key and them move all the pages to a new Confluence space, but it doesn't look like you can change the key there either.

So now I'm stuck. I could use a different key but I am not sure what the effect will be, and whether I can link the two together.

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Giles B
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 26, 2016

Hi Paul,

There's an option to create a linked Confluence space when you're creating your JIRA project, but you'll need to uncheck it as the Confluence space already exists. Create the project with the same key as the Confluence space, then you can link them from Confluence.

In Confluence:

1. Go to Space toolsIntegrations
  2. Choose Application Links
  3. Hit + Add Link on the right
  4. Tell Confluence which JIRA project you want to link to

Obviously in future you can create a JIRA project and Confluence space at the same time, but this works if one or the other already exists.

Paul Filmer October 26, 2016

thanks. It didn't "connect" with me that the checkbox at the bottom would clear the error up the top.

MichaelV April 13, 2017

I have tried for the last hour to locate this Create a linked jira space option but miserably failed. Could you point me to the right direction. Using jira cloud JIRA v1000.892.2

Suggest an answer