How do you close non-development types of issues that won't have a fix version?

Jim Constant May 4, 2017

We track all non-trivial tasks on our Kanban board so we have a comprehensive view of everything the team is doing. Many of these tasks don't result in software that will be released (e.g. do point-to-point testing with system X) and therefore, won't have a fix version.

When we do a release, of course all of the issues in that fix version no longer show on the Kanban board, but the ones without a fix version won't go away. I'm sure this can be done with the board filter but the only way I can see to do it would cause them to disappear as soon as they were moved to Done. 

The current Kanban subfilter is: fixVersion in unreleasedVersions() OR fixVersion is EMPTY

If I removed the 'fixVersion is EMPTY' part of that, they'd disappear.

How do you deal with these types of issues so they don't hang around on your board forever?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
josh
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 4, 2017

Hi Jim,

I like to use a kanban board sub-filter that holds items in the closed (or rightmost) column for a week after they have closed. Here is the JQL for that board sub-filter:

status != closed or (status = closed and status changed to closed after -1w)

Jim Constant May 4, 2017

Great idea, Josh. Thank you!

Jim Constant May 8, 2017

Hi Josh, I can't seem to get this to work. I did some experimenting to try and figure out why and it appears that this part of the JQL simply doesn't return any results 'status CHANGED TO CLOSED AFTER -1w'.

For example, I tried that exact snippet in the Issues Explorer - I didn't even specify a project so it searched enterprise-wide - and it says 'no issues found'. 

Is there anything special I need do this to work? Any setting I may need to turn on/off or something like that?

Suggest an answer