How do you close non-development types of issues that won't have a fix version?

We track all non-trivial tasks on our Kanban board so we have a comprehensive view of everything the team is doing. Many of these tasks don't result in software that will be released (e.g. do point-to-point testing with system X) and therefore, won't have a fix version.

When we do a release, of course all of the issues in that fix version no longer show on the Kanban board, but the ones without a fix version won't go away. I'm sure this can be done with the board filter but the only way I can see to do it would cause them to disappear as soon as they were moved to Done. 

The current Kanban subfilter is: fixVersion in unreleasedVersions() OR fixVersion is EMPTY

If I removed the 'fixVersion is EMPTY' part of that, they'd disappear.

How do you deal with these types of issues so they don't hang around on your board forever?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 vote
Josh Steckler Community Champion May 04, 2017

Hi Jim,

I like to use a kanban board sub-filter that holds items in the closed (or rightmost) column for a week after they have closed. Here is the JQL for that board sub-filter:

status != closed or (status = closed and status changed to closed after -1w)

Great idea, Josh. Thank you!

Hi Josh, I can't seem to get this to work. I did some experimenting to try and figure out why and it appears that this part of the JQL simply doesn't return any results 'status CHANGED TO CLOSED AFTER -1w'.

For example, I tried that exact snippet in the Issues Explorer - I didn't even specify a project so it searched enterprise-wide - and it says 'no issues found'. 

Is there anything special I need do this to work? Any setting I may need to turn on/off or something like that?

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Emilee Spencer
Published Friday in Marketplace Apps

Marketplace Spotlight: DeepAffects

Hello Atlassian Community! My name is Emilee, and I’m a Product Marketing Manager for the Marketplace team. Starting with this post, I'm kicking off a monthly series of Spotlights to highlight Ma...

50 views 0 3
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot