How do i move users to Jira core?

Deleted user October 12, 2015

I have a bunch of existing JIRA Software users who post-migration I would like to move to being only JIRA Core users, and it doesn't seem to work. If I uncheck their access to JIRA Software and then check JIRA Core, it re-selects both Core + Software options. What is the proper process for doing this?

4 answers

4 votes
Dave Meyer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 12, 2015

Hi @Guy Morton,

When you activated JIRA Core from the "Discover New Applications" page, a jira-core-users group should have been created for you. Unchecking the "JIRA Software" access and checking the "JIRA Core" checkbox should place users in this group.

If the JIRA Software checkbox keeps getting reselected when you check JIRA Core, the most likely explanation is that one of the default groups for JIRA Core also has access to JIRA Software. You do need to have separate a separate group for JIRA Core access.

Unfortunately, if you have been using the jira-users group to grant access to individual process, it may mean you have to re-implement some project permissions. During the migration, we were not able to modify membership in the jira-users group itself due to security, privacy, and permissioning concerns. Therefore, in order to make sure that all users kept access to JIRA, we migrated the jira-users group to have access to JIRA Software.

One workaround might be to create a new jira-software-users group, associate it with JIRA Software in your application access configuration. Then remove the jira-users group from application access and just use it for project permissions. Something like this:

GroupMembersApplication accessProject access
jira-core-usersPeople who only need JIRA CoreJIRA Corenot used
jira-software-usersPeople who need JIRA SoftwareJIRA Softwarenot used
jira-usersAll JIRA usersnot usedGrant access to projects

Without knowing more about your individual configuration, it's hard to say more. If you continue to run into trouble, create a support ticket and we would be happy to assist you.

Cheers,

Dave Meyer

Product Manager, JIRA Platform

Hi Dave, and thanks for the prompt response. You've more-or-less confirmed what I had figured out. Is there an easy way for me to change all my existing projects so jira-core-users can access them as they can today?

Dave Meyer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 12, 2015

Hi Guy, There's a fairly comprehensive permission schemes REST API (new in JIRA 7) that will allow you to get existing permission grants and grant them to a new group: https://docs.atlassian.com/jira/REST/ondemand/#api/2/permissionscheme-createPermissionGrant However depending on how many permission schemes you have, it may be faster to just edit them in the JIRA UI. As a side note, if you need to actually change a large number of projects from "Software" projects to "Business" projects, there is another REST API for you to do this: https://docs.atlassian.com/jira/REST/ondemand/#api/2/project-updateProjectType Dave

Thanks, but yes you are probably right it's going to be quicker for me to do it project by project via the UI I think. Nice to know the REST API gets some love though. One day I may get across it!

1 vote

So at this stage it looks like implementing JIRA Core is going to be painful. I'm hoping someone will tell me it doesn't mean I have to add a new jira-core-users group and then go around and manually grant that group access to all my projects in order to enable any of my users to be moved onto JIRA Core...

0 votes
MikeLamoureux December 22, 2015

Hi,

We are also having this issue over here.  We have 500+ users in JIRA Software and want them in JIRA Core.  If we 'check' JIRA Core, it checks both automatically.  I am wondering if we should just deactivate JIRA Software, if the jira-users permission would then default to core instead of BOTH Software and Core.

Thanks,

-Mike

image2015-12-22 10:48:40.png

image2015-12-22 10:46:54.png

Dave Meyer
Atlassian Team
December 22, 2015

Hi @Mike Lamoureux, The reason that both checkboxes are automatically filled in when you try to assign a new user to JIRA Core is that the jira-users group has access to both JIRA Software and JIRA Core. When you check the box to assign the new user to JIRA Core, it's placing the user in the jira-users group, but since jira-users also has JIRA Software access, we automatically check the JIRA Software box to indicate that. You can resolve this by clicking the "Make this a non-default group" button for jira-users in JIRA Core. This will mean that new users who you grant access to JIRA Core will only be added to the jira-core group. Based on your current configuration, you could also just deactivate JIRA Software and all 597 users would be left with only JIRA Core access. Keep in mind that this would mean users no longer would have access to agile boards, agile planning features, or development tool integrations. More info here: https://confluence.atlassian.com/migration/jira-7/how-to-move-from-jira-software-to-jira-core Cheers, Dave Product Manager, JIRA

0 votes

I have read this but it's not very clear or friendly a process. I have to create my own groups and configure them? The jira-users group has access to both JIRA Core and Software, so I have to make some users NOT jira-users? I tried that and created a jira-core-users group but the users without the default groups seem unable to do anything. How is this supposed to work? 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events