How do i install developer licenses on a 10 user server?

Development Admin January 27, 2020

We recently downgraded our 50 user Jira license to a 10 user license.  As part of this, we apparently lose the "development" license.  While annoying, i purchased another 10 user license for jira core, only to find out that when updating all my plugin licenses to their development licenses, that they are incompatible.  Am i expected to purchase each plugin again?

2 answers

0 votes
kyona July 2, 2020

So, as I understood, you cannot have developer / test Jira instance for 10 users for free. You must:

- buy a new Jira starter license for 10 users, and since it is commercial -->

- *buy commercial license for each plugins*, you have in Jira you want to be able to test (some 10 users plugin's licenses are much expensive than $10, e.g. OKR Board for Jira -> $100)

With other words, if you want to have 10 users test / demo instance you must paid the same as for you live system. Early it was possible, but then Atlassian blocked this option for 10 users licenses.

This situation is very pitty.

0 votes
Andrej Freeze _ greenique
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 27, 2020

Hello @Rich Barlow 

The situation you are facing with you installation is working as exepected, since the official guide on how to get a developer license states the following

"Atlassian Starter, Community and Open Licenses do not include free Developer Licenses.  If you need a development environment for your Starter License please purchase an additional Starter License."

Therefore I'm afraid you will have to purchase additional licenses, unless you are community or open source license holder. In that case, you can contact sales@atlassian.com

I'm sorry to provide you with such a disappointing answer, but for 10 user licenses the price is already pretty low. Therefore I can understand atlassians decision to not provide them to this license tier.

Cheers,

Andrej

Development Admin January 27, 2020

I completely understand that they've changed their development license policy and read that it's no longer available for the 10 user license.  Hence why I purchased an additional license.  But the apps/plugins do allow me to get a developer license.  My question is, how do I use that?  If it's not possible to use, then why is it offered?

Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 27, 2020

To me this sounds like a technical problem.

You can do the following: contact the vendors and ask for licenses, explaining that the developer license functionality does not work. The vendors who state that this is the desired behaviour will leave you in a situation where another purchase is or deactivation is inevitable.

In addition, creating a bug report on atlassians support desk may give you a more satisfying answer with hopes on a fix on this behaviour.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 27, 2020

Actually, that won't work.  Developer licences for apps only work when there is a developer licence running the platform.

I'm afraid you will need to talk to Atlassian to get any way around this.  I can't think of one other than going back up to a tier that has dev licences.

Robert Szabo June 16, 2020

Hello @Andrej Freeze _ greenique ,

Could you solve your problem? Did the developer app license work with Jira starter license?

I am facing a similar situation, I'd like to have a system for test purposes, but my production environment uses only Jira software starter licenses.

Thanks in advance!

Best regards,

Robert

Rising Star
Rising Star
June 17, 2020

Hello @Robert Szabo 

I'm afraid that we were not able to solve this and therefore pay for the apps in that testing environment.

Cheers,

Andrej

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 17, 2020

The problem is solved by not using incompatible licences together, and paying for a system that allows for developer licences for a separate system.

Robert Szabo June 17, 2020

Okay guys, thanks for the answers!

Suggest an answer