How do i get linked issues to close when the primary ticket is resolved?

Steven de Villiers May 16, 2016

Hello,

Its my first question here so i hope that i've done this correctly.

We are new to JIRA at my company and are very much learning as we go.  It happens from time to time that multiple users have the same problem/similar problems at the same time.  We link these issues together with the "relates to field".

Question i have is that when we go and close one of the tickets that has a relates to filled in i would like the related ticket to be closed too.  How would i go about setting this up? Is it possible?

Thank you

Steven de Villiers

1 answer

1 vote
Nicolas Bourdages
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 16, 2016

It's very much possible. You will need the Misc. Workflow Extension plugin. 

In the "source" issue's workflow, set up a post-function in the transition to Closed. That post-function should trigger the transition to Close in the "destination" issue's workflow. 

I say "source" and "destination" because it's not mandatory that both issues use the same workflow. Just that they be linked by the chosen issue type, and that the named transition exists and is valid in the linked issue.

I suggest you use a specific issue link for these automated transitions. "relates to" is very generic, and you might want to use it for something else. I think it would be preferable to use "duplicated by" in your case.

Jeremy Gaudet
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 16, 2016

I second the remark on using a specific link type; further, typically I close all duplicate tickets with a resolution of "duplicate", and a link to the primary, as soon as they are identified as duplicates.  That way there is only ever one one open ticket being tracked per issue.  That way you don't have to track things like FixVersion in multiple places (whereas, if you leave it open and only close it when resolved, there could be an expectation that the metadata stays current for all of them).

Steven de Villiers May 16, 2016

Thank you for the information Nicolas.  I will work through this with my team and see if we can get it all to come together.

Much appreciated

Steven de Villiers

Nathaniel Erlandson September 22, 2016

Is this possible if the tickets are linked, but in separate projects?

Like Kim.Engel likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events