How do I use the "summary" field in JQL?

Michael Easterbrook August 29, 2016

When I use "/rest/api/2/search?jql=summary="TRUE"" I get the error "operator '=' is not supported by the 'summary' field". When I use "/rest/api/2/search?jql=summary:"TRUE"" I get the error "Error in the JQL Query: Expecting operator but got 'TRUE'. The valid operators are '=', '!=', '<', '>', '<=', '>=', '~', '!~', 'IN', 'NOT IN', 'IS' and 'IS NOT'".

2 answers

1 vote
Joe Clark
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 29, 2016

You can only use the ~ and !~ operators with the summary and description fields in JIRA.  These behave similar to the LIKE and NOT LIKE keywords in SQL, except that you can't specify wildcards.

Because the information from these fields is stored in the JIRA search index in a tokenized format, it's not possible to specify an exact match using the = operator.

0 votes
Michael Easterbrook August 30, 2016

Why is it when I use the "Advanced Rest Client Application" I can use this:

"http://localhost:8080/rest/api/2/search?jql:summary:TRUE" and get the summary data for all the issues assigned to me?

Sample:

{
"expand": "schema,names"
"startAt": 0
"maxResults": 50
"total": 6
"issues": 
[
6]
0:  
{
"expand": "operations,versionedRepresentations,editmeta,changelog,renderedFields"
"id": "10042"
"key": "TEST-43"
"fields": 
{
"issuetype": 
{
"id": "10001"
"description": "A task that needs to be done."
"name": "Task"
"subtask": false
"avatarId": 10318
}