How do I set a read only custom field value?

Marcio Ghiraldelli
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 25, 2016

How it's possible to update a value of a read only custom field through JIRA UI?

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Marcio Ghiraldelli
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 25, 2016

JIRA Core does not offer this by default. You can use JIRA Utilities Plugin https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.googlecode.jira-suite-utilities/server/overview. This will enable a set custom field value in a post function in your workflow.

0 votes
Hung Nguyen February 25, 2016

Why do you call a field a read-only field if you want to update it through UI ? Or is it currently a read-only custom field and now you want to turn it to en editable field ?

Your answer for this may shed some lights on how you can do it in a meaningful way.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 25, 2016

The description does say "value can only be set by code" when you go to add one.

Hmm, I may not have enough permission to see all of the info in this ticket or what? 

I saw only the title to be: "How do I set a read only custom field value?" and one line description "How it's possible to update a value of a read only custom field through JIRA UI?"

Do you mean that there is more description than that one liner here for this ticket? Just curious to know if I miss something here.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 25, 2016

It's not a ticket, it's a question.

I think Marcio is trying to ask and answer a question that comes up regularly so that questioners get an authoritative and simple response when they start typing their question.

Oh, I see what you mean. Thanks

Marcio Ghiraldelli
Atlassian Team
February 25, 2016

Yes, Nic, it's exactly that. I understand that a read only custom field should not be update through UI, but I was wondering what would be the purpose of it if I could not updated it at all.

The only way JIRA Core offers this out of box is while importing from CSV through JIM, but setting them in the workflow looks a good alternative.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 25, 2016

From memory, it's a hang-over from the old Mantis importer, which has been absorbed into JIM now.  Might be one of the other old importers though - it's been a while since I looked.

Nevertheless, it's a useful field for any importer, as you usually want to keep at least the old system's reference number and never change that.  It also has a lot of other uses too, as long as you are willing to do the coding (or use an add-on that has coded for you, such as JIRA Suite Utilities, as you say)

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events