How do I search for comments by a specific user?

Nariman Riahi September 27, 2017

In cloud JIRA I like to see what tickets were updated by "joe" in last 24 hours. 

You would think that this is something that is available out of the box, or am I missing something?

thanks

5 answers

0 votes
Conrad May 3, 2023

In case this is still something that people need help with. The way I was able to get issues by commentators was by using the issueFunction:

...AND (issueFunction in commented("by [user]") OR issueFunction in commented("by [user]") OR issueFunction in commented("by [user]"))...

Iana June 28, 2023

@Conrad is IssueFunction available in Server? 
I tried using it in a JQL search and I got an error saying it doesn't exist. 
JQL.PNG

Am I doing something wrong?

mikutech October 19, 2023

Nope, issueFunction is part of the Scriptrunner extension. It does not exist in default Jira. I'm looking around myself for a non-extension way to do this also.

Like Iana likes this
Iana October 19, 2023

Hi @mikutech

That makes sense. If you happen to find a way, please don't hesitate to share

0 votes
Mike May February 24, 2020

Still hoping for this functionality out of the box. 

0 votes
Melissa_Liotta July 11, 2019

Hello,

I see that in 2017 you could not do a search for comments added by a specific user, but has this changed or is it still not available out of the box?

Thank you, Melissa

0 votes
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 28, 2017

If you want to find issues where a comment was added by a user, you need a plugin like JQL Tricks. It cannot be done by the default search functionality.

Nariman Riahi September 28, 2017

thanks.

Sad that Atlassian does not support such basic use case. For us who use Cloud instance and do not even have the option to use add-ons. 

Like # people like this
0 votes
Gregory Van Den Ham
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 27, 2017

try a JQL Issue search something like:   

status changed by "Username" and updated> startOfDay("-1")

In this case startOfday would be today and this is looking at the users updates from yesterday (the -1).

If you're not sure of the person's username, find it in their profile or if you have admin access, look at their user info through the admin users screens.

Nariman Riahi September 27, 2017

I am looking for any update. Not just status change. In particular I am looking for users who put a comment in the ticket but do not change anything about the ticket so I hard time to find out through Status or Assignee change. 

How do I find out tickets were a comment was added in the last 24 hours?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events