How do I replace JIRA Software jar file with the 7.0.10 version?

Michael Robinson August 2, 2016

We have a standalone JIRA instance v6.1 and are having difficulty importing our data to JIRA Cloud as we get the following error:

"We can't complete your upgrade. It looks like the data you are trying to import is from an earlier version of JIRA Agile. You need to upgrade to JIRA Software 7.0 first, then export new data and try again."

The resolution steps given are not that clear for JIRA on Linux. Are there any fuller guides?

1 answer

1 vote
Jonas Andersson
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 2, 2016

It's not just a single updated jar, it has tons of dependancies, changed JRE, it's tons of changes to (mysql) database tables (i remember doing 1200 mysql ALTER table when going from JIRA 6.3.15 -> 7.x). You are forced to a proper upgrade, and if i were you i would clone my production environment and do it a few times until you streamlined the process. I also warmly recommend you to check the update compatibility check in Jira, and disable all plugins before proceeding with the upgrade. Missing this held my upgrades back for hours due to incompatible addons. 

Like Atlassian recommends, read every release note between the version you are going from to the version you are going to, as a lot has changed.

Last but not least: Good luck.

Suggest an answer