How do I rename a project?

Amanda Clark October 3, 2016

I have a large project that I want to rename.  The project currently has 2+ years worth of work (about 2700 stories) , so I certainly do not want to lose any of the work.  

Another alternative could be to only rename the stories since the beginning of the year.

What is the best way and time to do this?   Will the links between JIRA and our Wiki automatically update?  Are there other implications that I need to consider?

3 answers

0 votes
Mathiyalagan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 3, 2016
0 votes
Amanda Clark October 3, 2016

Thank you for your answer.  smile

What is the project key?  how is that used, and what will that affect?

David Skreiner
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 4, 2016

A project has a NAME that shows up on its overview page, like for testing a workflow you might create a project and name it "Workflow Test Facilitator". 

Now the project needs a key, that's its short ID, and also used in the URL so you can type myjira.com/browse/KEY (for my example above it's browse/wtf ) and open that project. 

Typically the key is used in filters, which in turn are used to build dashboards and agile boards and so on.

So if half your company has dashboards and filters all using "project = KEY" you may not want to change the key ... because that would break everyone's dashboards and filters.

0 votes
Mathiyalagan
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 3, 2016

Renaming project will not break anything hardly but you have more checks if you rename the Project KEY

Suggest an answer