How do I reduce the number of email notifications from JIRA?

Dan Wallek March 4, 2016

I've tried to customize my email settings for my profile, but the settings to customize are very limiting.

2 answers

0 votes
Michael Partyka
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 4, 2016

The best will be if you will notify watchers only. In notification scheme remove all  users, groups and roles and add only Project Role (Watchers)

Who will be interested in the ticket will be added to watchers and Voilla!

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 4, 2016

Not always a good move - you really do need to think it through. 

I don't want to have to add watchers every time I create issues.  Worse, I may not even have the right to do it.  For example, what happens when a call for help comes in from an external user and it's automatically assigned to me because I'm the component lead?  I want the assignee notification. 

You may work through it and decide that watchers only will work for you.  But watchers only fails for most users and you really need to think through each notification, not just bin them all.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 4, 2016

Have a review of the notification schemes set up for your system - the default is usually "notify reporter, assignee and watcher of all changes", but it's well worth reducing that to be a bit less noisy.  (Especially the "issue updated", as that can happen for every minor change)

Suggest an answer