How do I record progress on a sub-task such that the progress field on the parent task is updated?

Paul Reeves December 20, 2016

This question is in reference to Atlassian Documentation: Logging work on issues

I am using a task as a template for a small process/playbook. I added 3 sub-tasks for each thing we have to do in this process.

How do I log progress on the sub-task (e.g. 100% done) such that the parent task progress field reflects 33% progress?

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 20, 2016

Time estimates roll up to the parent, from the sub-tasks. Usually you'll add an Estimate to the Parent Task and then log timespent on the sub-tasks.

If you put an estimate of 3h on the Parent Task and then log 1h on a sub-task, the progress bar will show 33%.

Paul Reeves December 21, 2016

Ty Steven. Seems like the macro/widget to visualize the issue in Confluence isn't displaying the data. I could be doing something wrong. I'll pursue the direction you outlined above. Thank you for the quick response. 

Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 21, 2016

I see. The Progress and Workratio fields don't appear in Confluence's Issue Macro yet unfortunately. :|

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONF-35196

0 votes
Miklós Kiss February 24, 2017

Having a relevant (yes, minor) "subproblem", I have just got to this thread. We have got an issue (exactly a story) with an estimated total time requirement, and a growing number of subtasks, with no individual time estimations. I have logged work in a subtask (using smart commits). These amounts of work appear in the relevant time tracking panel of the main issue's page, but they don't reduce the estimation for the time remaining (see image).

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events