How do I quickly update priorities for all my issues?

prancingblue October 7, 2016

Hello,

I can filter and view issues really well. I can also create a nice dashboard organizing issues by priority.

However, I'm surprised it isn't easier to quickly update priorities for all of my issues. What am I missing?

The use case is basically:

- New issues are constantly added throughout the day or week. When they're added, they're typically assigned a priority.

- Work typically progresses from highest priority to lowest.

- After some time it becomes clear that some high priority things are not as high priority, and some low priority things are becoming more urgent.

- When I'm viewing 30 issues assigned to me, with a column that shows the priority. I want to be able to click on the priority value, and adjust it from Highest to Low. Or from High to Highest or whatever.

- It is important and efficient to be able to sift through all 30 tasks quickly adjusting priority on all of them. It should only take a matter of minutes. Shift-clicking to open each task in a new tab, then attempting to change the priority on the individual issue pages is incredibly cumbersome in comparison.

Am I missing something? This seems like a fairly fundamental feature of keeping tasks organized, and efficiently re-prioritizing over time.

Thanks,

-Dustin

Atlassian JIRA Project Management Software (v7.2.0#72002-sha1:36e1562)

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 7, 2016

Take the filter for "assigned to me and needs prioritising" and run it as usual, then use "bulk edit".  You can select which ones to change with a check list and then hit all of them in one go

It's not individual priorities, you'll have to do it once for each priority you need to set, but at least you can hit several issues at a time.

prancingblue October 7, 2016

Accepting because I guess that's what we need to suffer with. Wish it were easier... anywhere we can SEE priority, we ought to be able to click it, and adjust it. :-/

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 7, 2016

Yes, it's less than ideal in plain JIRA.  Atlassian have a long-standing "let us edit fields in the issue navigator" request somewhere, but it always seems to be a lower priority than other stuff.

JIRA Software adds some functions that can help, but they're focussed on boards (Scrum and Kanban) and still don't quite do it as nicely as I'd like (to be fair, Software is not aimed at that, so I wouldn't expect them to be great, but they do inadvertently help with prioritisation and editing)

However, if you have some money for add-ons, I'd take a look at Comala Canvas - it's still not quite what you're looking for specifically, but having a screen where I can see a batch of stuff and simply drag it around to change values is pretty close (and arguably, better than a list with some edit stuff)

Suggest an answer