How do I migrate JIRA to another Server

Sandeep Rampall January 15, 2018

I have taken over Administration of JIRA 4.1.2. All other Users have left.

There is a requirement to migrate JIRA from the development Server to a new Development Server with a new operating system.

I have read the documentation to try to obtain the licence key and created a new Atalassian account but my account is not associated with any product..

Please could you tell me how to migrate my JIRA installation from the older server to a new server (Windows Server2012) 

Many Thanks.

2 answers

1 vote
Timothy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 15, 2018

Holy cow! You're in for a ride.

All licenses are managed via my.atlassian.com. If no one knows the associated account, you'll have to either contact support or bite the bullet and get a new license.

Now, on to the upgrade. This is your upgrade path:

• 4.1 to 4.4.5
  • 4.4 to 5.1
  • 5.1 to 6.4
  • 6.4 to 7.0 (choose Jira Core, Jira Software or Jira Service Desk or any combination of the 3)
  • 7.0 to latest

Make sure you read the release notes for the target version and note down which Java and database is supported for that version.

0 votes
Sebastian Kleinholz
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 23, 2018

@Sandeep Rampall, if I understand you right, your biggest need is to move the installation from one hardware to another new, right?

You can do this without knowing any license key but you have to know:

• which database is used and on same server or remote (look for dbconfig.xml)
  • which JDK/JRE is currently used + location
  • where jira is located
  • where jira-data is located
  • if the network environments (firewalls / network segment) are same

If all above is known you can give the approach copy-all-somewhere-else a try. If on the target system the paths are identically and ideally the DB as remote, Jira should just work as before. There is no binding to the previous hardware.

Suggest an answer