How do I link two workflows in one project while sharing the status and transactions?

Akeem Hoque December 2, 2015

Hello world, 

I went into the Marketplace aka the "Import from Marketplace" via the plugins/servlet/wfshare-import.

I selected: Workflow | | Issue Types

Maintenance Dev Workflow = over all workflow... like the foundation.

Default Bugzilla Workflow = Bug / I'm using this for bug tracking.

Maintenance Test Workflow = Only for Zephyr for Jira.. It's a Test Case 
management add on. - Don't worry about this one.

Is it possible to link the two workflows when a specific state intercepts?

The vanilla scenario for the MD workflow is: Open > Analysis> Design> Coding & Unit Testing > Code Review > Testing > Release > Done

The vanilla scenario for the DB workflow is: Create > Confirm > In Progress > Resolved > Verified > Closed.

Question 1: I'm going to change the close and done into complete:

MD workflow : Open > Analysis> Design> Coding & Unit Testing > Code Review > Testing > Release > Complete

DB workflow : Create > Confirm > In Progress > Resolved > Verified > Complete

Regardless if the ticket is a bug or a ticket/task I want it to appear as Complete

Question 2: When I discover a defect I want to to use the DB workflow until it is resolved and renter the MD workflow as Release.. Which will tell me team that the defect was verified and rested and it's ready for production.

MD workflow : Open > Analysis> Design> Coding & Unit Testing > Code Review > Testing > Release > Complete

DB workflow : Create > Confirm > In Progress > Resolved > Verified > Complete

Question 3:
If that's not possible I think I should customize the workflow like this:

MD workflow : Open > Analysis> Design> Coding & Unit Testing > Code Review > Testing > Release > Complete

DB workflow : Create > Confirm > In Progress > Resolved > Verified > Complete > Release > Complete

Thanks,

Akeem H.

2 answers

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 2, 2015

There's no "link" between workflows.  A workflow is the process an issue goes through from "new" to "we've dealt with this".  That's it.  It matches the process.

Your suggestions about workflows are good setups, but you won't find any link between them.  Also, think about going back - what happens if your design is inadequate and you need to go back?  Or it fails testing and needs more analysis/design/coding.

Hello Nic, Thanks for inquiring into my question. 

I understand what your saying... JIRA is kinds of misleading because I can assign diffrent workflow to diffrent issue types in workflow schemes but I cant link them together? 

All I want to accomplish is a sync between the two issue type workflow because when I encounter a defect I want to be as explicit as possible, but when the defect is verified and ready for production I want it to sync with the the original workflow. 

Does that make sense? 

Thanks,

Akeem H.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 2, 2015

I'm afraid it doesn't - I still don't understand what the link it. Could you explain what you expect to happen in terms of issues, rather than workflows?

0 votes

I have multiple workflows associated to diffrent Issue types and and I want it to inhabit a new workflow based on status....

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events