How do I import a single project?

Mark Cogan March 23, 2016

I have my main instance of JIRA, but also have a user who has been working with it some for his own project.  Rather than have to stand up a second full release of JIRA, they would like to leverage our own.  Is there a way in JIRA to export just their projects and import that to our standing version?  I know that I will have to copy over the attachments directory as well, but we'd like to be able to roll their usage into our own.

As an FYI, we have a very large number of unused licenses, and their project only has a few additional users.  It is no big deal for me to add them to our user base.  What we do not want to have to do it completely rewrite every single ticket into our system.

2 answers

2 votes
Michael Partyka
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 23, 2016

Hi Mark,

to do this you need to export all project using Backup System option

Then go to Projects and then go to Administration Project Import.

You can easily search for this functions using gg shortcut also:

type gg and type Backup System

If you will have any question let me know.

Mark Cogan March 23, 2016

Thank you for the response.  I have read over the details, and I see that this is not quite a simple thing.  First of all, I know that their version is not the same as the one I have deployed.  This will require an upgrade to our own system, which at this time is not an option.  Second, I noticed that even then there is a chance that the import will not work if they are using a different configuration than in my instance.  This is far too many factors for this to be a good option.  I will be recommending that we do NOT import their projects.

0 votes
GabrielleJ
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 23, 2016

I think your best bet here is to import the issues using the JIRA CSV Import feature (https://confluence.atlassian.com/jira/importing-data-from-csv-185729516.html).

Currently, there is no native way to import/export a single project in JIRA (but it has been suggested, discussed and debated upon to Atlassian for so many years now).

Suggest an answer