How do I export tests with test steps in Zephyr Jira for Cloud

Liz Niada October 13, 2015

Hi, I need to export tests from Zephyr JIRA for Cloud. I can see how to do it for all tests, but excluding test steps, or how to do it for test cycles, showing execution details, where each individual test step goes into a separate row in excel. However, I just want to export all tests under a project (not execution details, just the tests including steps, so they can be reviewed).

I created a new issue query with all the tests in it, and tried to add the test steps column, so I could then export. However, when I go to add/edit columns, none of the Zephyr columns are displayed, which I guess is the root of the problem.Please help - I'm going round in circles!

Thanks.

5 answers

10 votes
Brian Woyan March 11, 2016

Hi,

I'm not sure how helpful Zephyr is for test management when I can't do basic test case management.  I can't copy test cases from project to project for regression, I can't export test cases with test steps so I can import them to another project.  For every project I will have to start from scratch.  I would expect a tool like Zephyr to make test management easier, not more complicated.

Brian

4 votes
Aron Gombas _Midori_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 4, 2019

You could use the Better PDF Exporter cloud app to export the test steps with these columns for each step:

1. test description
  2. test data
  3. expected result

Then it should be possible to copy-paste this table from the PDF document to Excel. 

The nicety is that as Zephyr tests themselve are issues, you can do it for a single test or for a set of tests returned by a JQL search, so it is flexible although requires some manual work.

See: https://midori-global.com/products/better-pdf-exporter-for-jira/cloud/template-gallery#zephyr

(Disclaimer: this solution is using a paid cloud app and I am a developer working on it.)

jira-zephyr-test-steps

1 vote
Arun Ravindran October 15, 2015

Hi Liz

Thanks for your interest in our product "Zephyr For JIRA Cloud".

Yes as you said you should be able to export the test steps by exporting from the 'Search Test Executions' page. You can find it by going to 'Tests' -> 'Search Test Executions' .

Test steps are part of Zephyr and not JIRA and the export option in other pages are handled by JIRA. This is the reason the test steps are not exported. Zephyr is responsible for handling the export from the Search Test Executions. This is why tests steps can be exported from this page.

Currently, it is not possible to export all the information together. The reason being the export option for the locations are handled differently. The Export from 'Search Tests' page is handled by JIRA and thus exports all the JIRA fields like Description, Priority, Labels etc. As Test Details is not a part of JIRA this part is skipped.

In the Export in 'Search Test Executions' page all the components handled by Zephyr is exported. This is the reason it is not possible to export all the data together. Please let me know if you have any further questions. 

Also please note that we Zephyr Support have a ticketing system which is a much better channel to approach us and for faster responses.Please do sign up to our support site "support.getzephyr.com/hc/en-us" and use the option "Submit a Case" to raise a ticket with us in case you encounter any issues or have queries in future and we will be glad to help you out.

Thanks

ZephyrSupport

Ravi Kumar Ratnakaram April 7, 2017

Hi Liz, 

I have the same issue after migrating to Jira from qa complete . I don't see test details column either in search test list view nor in execution search (Under columns option where we select which column to show). 

could you please suggest any solution?

Gianni Pucciani February 11, 2019

Arun, via search test execution is OK, but what if the tests is not yet planned for execution?

To all, FYI, XRay provides this feature.

Like # people like this
Anda Rebecca Borze August 21, 2019

Hello, we are also in need of getting all the information on tests including the test executions and steps as we are migrating from Cloud to Jira server. However, I cannot find the "search test executions" button when going into the tests. Is this still available? Or is there another way to do it now? 

Andrea_Paolo_Ferraresi October 1, 2019

You need to execute the tests to reach the view where you can find the "search test executions" section

0 votes
Miguel Lopez December 2, 2020

Ok, I think I found a way to export Zephyr Test Cases with all Test Steps:

1. Click on Tests -> Plan Test Cycle. This will take you to the Cycle Summary page
  2. Under "Test Cycles and Folders", select the relevant Sprint Cycle 
  3. Under "Test Executions", click on the Test Cycle Name (it's a hyperlink). It will take you to a "Query" results page with a list of all of your Test Cases
  4. On the top right corner, click "Export" and select the desired format (i.e. CSV)

The export will contain all of your test steps, data and expected results.

Jael Busuttil February 17, 2021

Hi @Miguel Lopez , 

Thanks for sharing. To be honest, I have managed to do this and export. However, I am noticing that the exported file shows more columns than what I have selected in the filter.

Is this happening to you too? And if so, is there a way to rectify? I have tried quite a few things and nothing seem to work. :( 

Thanks in advance. 

Miguel Lopez March 4, 2021

Hi @Jael Busuttil ,

Glad to hear that you managed to export your test cases.

I had not noticed your issue until you mentioned it, but yes, I'm seeing the same issue. I cannot figure out a way to configure which fields are included in the export. It appears to include every single field. 

Sorry I couldn't be of help.

Jael Busuttil March 5, 2021

@Miguel Lopez 

I have mentioned this with the vendors and they confirmed that that is how it should be. When exporting the Zephyr filter, it will export all the fields even those you do not want to opt for. 

No worries, just thought you should know what I have found out in the meantime. 

joe March 9, 2021

I cannot see an option to export anywhere even after following these steps?  Any screenshots would be helpful?

joe March 9, 2021

@Miguel Lopez I cannot see an option to export anywhere even after following these steps?  Any screenshots would be helpful?

0 votes
niclas bade March 31, 2016

We have the same problem in our team and we would like this issue addressed as we can't export the issues we want please correct this, we are wasting to much time doing "double" exports

Niclas.

prashant rajan February 28, 2019

Hi,

I have tests which are spread across multiple cycles . I have the test IDs but when i go to test execution, it has column called Issue ID but doesnt allow to filter on that ID or a list of IDs.

I am seeing that Zephyr is not very helpful with lot of basic things like import , export etc..making it very complicated to manage for us.

Like # people like this
Rajiv March 23, 2019

How can i download test steps from test cycle...can anyone help?

Like # people like this
Balavinayagamoorthi June 24, 2020

Hi Rajiv,

This procedure is helpful to download test steps from test cycle

https://zephyrdocs.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/ZFJCLOUD/pages/21757975/Exporting

shivamdu November 2, 2020

Unfortunately this exports only the test cycle! I don't find a way to export the test steps. If any one know how - please help me!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events