How do I export an instance and keep a system adminstrator?

salpadoru July 12, 2016

Hi All,

Rather unique situation. I have to do a backup restore from and XML for an instance I have no access to. So I am able to do the import but unable to log in afterwards. Is there any way I can retain a user with admin privileges to log back in after the import?

Thanks in advance.

Eshan 

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 12, 2016

Not "retain", no, you have to have a user in the source system that is a known administrator.

However, it's quite easy to get one in if you're going to need to.  The easiest route is to get the source admins to tell you who has admin, and set their password to something you know, either in the XML or after loading it into the database and losing access, directly in the database.

See https://confluence.atlassian.com/jira/retrieving-the-jira-administrator-192836.html for the full set of instructions, and the encrypted password string that resolves to sphere (which you should change as soon as you've logged in...)

salpadoru July 12, 2016

Hi Nic,

Thanks for your reply.

This has been a frustratingly secure project with very limited options. So I will have to create the admin user. I am able to follow the instruction in the link you sent but what I am not clear is, is the user being created "localadmin"? and is the next step after restarting JIRA, login as "localadmin"/"localadmin"?

Thanks!

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 12, 2016

If they don't give you an existing admin account, then yes, you'll need to add one, and the doc does suggest a login id of localadmin

But re-read the password bit.

salpadoru July 12, 2016

Got it!. Thanks!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events