How do I estimate 'effort' using story points?

I have configured the estimation tab so that the story point option is set, however in the estimate field of the issue it is still showing hours and minutes. I want to be able to use story points with no reference to time. I am using JIRA version 6.3.13.

1 answer

Updating the Estimation tab will not hide either of the fields when viewing an issue. This configuration however will update how you view issues in your "Plan Board

The tooltip text in there reads "Estimate issues in Plan mode by entering values for Story Points. Your velocity from sprint to sprint will be measured against these estimates.What you just did is configured the Velocity reporting capabilities of JIRA Agile to use the "Story Points" data instead of the actual hours logged. Have a read here for the complete documentation (https://confluence.atlassian.com/agile/jira-agile-user-s-guide/configuring-a-board/configuring-estimation-and-tracking)

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Teodora [Botron]
Published Thursday in Marketplace Apps

Jira Inferno: The Nine Circles of Jira Administration Hell

If you spend enough time as a Jira admin - whether you are managing a single, mid-sized instance, a large enterprise one or juggling multiple instances at once - you will eventually find yourself in ...

262 views 0 12
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot