How do I create an Epic?

Adam July 30, 2018

Hello Community Members,

I've recently setup Jira for my department which handles requests to update webpages within out CMS.

One of the things I would like to do is create epics to help us sort the different types of tickets we will be using.

Currently I'm using Jira 7321d31b, and I'm having a little bit of a difficulty figuring out the best way to go about this process.

Could you give me some tips on how to accomplish this?  Thanks!

-Adam

1 answer

0 votes
Aswin Achuthan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 30, 2018

Hi @Adam, these pages should help you

adamce July 30, 2018

Hey Aswin,

Thanks for the help!

Unfortunately that link doesn't match up with the views that I have.  I 'm not seeing the method of accessing the "Epics Panel"

Is there something that I have to do to enable this option?

Thanks!

Aswin Achuthan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 30, 2018

Sorry for the misunderstanding. Do you mean Epic issue type is not listed while creating a ticket?

adamce July 30, 2018

I have enabled the field for assigning an epic to issues.

But that drop-down field is totally empty.  I would like to populate it with different epics.

Apologies for my confusing way of asking for help, I'm a complete newbie when it comes to Jira!

-Adam

epic-link.JPG

Aswin Achuthan
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 30, 2018

Are you using Jira core version ?

In Jira core, Epics are just an another normal issue type. You ned Jira Software to do all Agile stuffs.

If you are using Jira Software:
Try clicking the down arrow again(that will refresh the list). If the Epic is already in Done Status - check "Show done epics" option.

This field will list existing Epics, if you still didn't see it then check if you have enough permission.

Open Epic ticket > Click + icon next to "Issues in this epic" to create issue under that epic.

adamce July 30, 2018

I'm guessing that we are currently using Jira Core because it seams like I don't have the options that you are referencing.

Is there a way for me to tell whether I'm using Jira Core or Jira Software?

If I am using Jira Core, is there a way for me upgrade to Jira Software so that I can enable these functionalities?

Thanks for your help thus far!

Aswin Achuthan
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 31, 2018

Check your active subscription from Administration > Discover applications . On the right plane, you should be able to see list of installed services. or you can check under "Billing estimate" from Administration > Billing > Billing details 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events