How do I configure a custom context on an existing custom field?

Colleen Adams January 8, 2016

We have a select list, single choice custom field "Team". The field is currently configured to apply to all issue types and to apply to four projects in our JIRA instance. I want to create a custom context for each of the four projects so that users of a given project will only see the team values that pertain to their project. 

I am running into two issues. First, I cannot configure a custom context for a project that is already selected as one of the four projects. So I first have to change the custom field to use the "Global context". Once I do that, I can configure a new custom context for each project. Is this the correct approach or is there another way?

Second, since the values are unique to a context, it appears that I need to create new values for each custom context and then use bulk edit to assign issues to the new value. Is there a way to move an existing value to a new custom context?

3 answers

2 votes
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 8, 2016

I am afraid both are true. You can not use the same project in 2 contexts. Also, values are unique across contexts!

1 vote
Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 8, 2016

For number 1, yes you have that correct. A context can only be assigned to a single project (independent of the global context). Are you a user of the script runner plugin? That may help for number 1 and 2. There is a built-in script to split custom field contexts. https://scriptrunner.adaptavist.com/latest/jira/builtin-scripts.html#_split_custom_field_context

0 votes
Colleen Adams January 8, 2016

We do use script runner. I wasn't aware of the functionality to split custom field context. Thanks for the information!

Suggest an answer